How to change the default device of GPU? device_ids[0]

i try add
CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=1,2
in main.py
but it does not work

We have 8 gpu. I used the devices[1,2] ,the rest is used by others

1 Like

CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES is an environment variable. You set it on the command line, not in the Python script.

9 Likes

So in the Python script, How to choose the GPU devices. Especially, I want to change GPU devices in the training processing

I also want to know how to choose the GPU device in the python script.

torch.cuda keeps track of currently selected GPU, and all CUDA tensors you allocate will be created on it. The selected device can be changed with a torch.cuda.device context manager.

ex:

with torch.cuda.device(1):
    w = torch.FloatTensor(2,3).cuda()
    # w was placed in  device_1 by default.

Or you can specify gpu.id via .cuda() directly.

w = torch.FloatTensor(2,3).cuda(2)
# w was placed in device_2

See more on: CUDA semantics — PyTorch master documentation

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply, I will do some experiments to verify these functions. Besides, I found out some other useful functions at How to specify GPU usage?.

I have tried to set CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES in shell, then I run a simple script to test if the setting has taken effect, unfortunately, it seems does not work.

CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=3; python test.py

the script test.py is

import torch
print(torch.cuda.current_device())

the above script still shows that current device is 0.

I find that torch.cuda.set_device(device_num) works fine in setting the desired GPU to use.

16 Likes

two things you did wrong:

1. there shouldn’t be semicolon. with the semicolon, they are on two different lines, and python won’t see it.
  2. even with the correct command CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=3 python test.py, you won’t see torch.cuda.current_device() = 3, because it completely changes what devices pytorch can see. So in pytorch land device#0 is actually your device#3 of the system. You can verify that from nvidia-smi.
17 Likes

Thanks for the information. I thought that PyTorch would print the actual GPU id even if we use CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES to set available GPU.

That controls what devices CUDA exposes and PyTorch can’t do nothing in this regards.

Hi, you can specify used gpu in python script as following:

import os
from argparse import ArgumentParser

parser = ArgumentParser(description=‘Example’)
parser.add_argument(’–gpu’, type=int, default=[0,1], nargs=’+’, help=‘used gpu’)

args = parser.parse_args()
os.environ[“CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES”] = ‘,’.join(str(x) for x in args.gpu)

4 Likes

it cannot work for me, it always use the first(ie, 0) gpu

Thanks, this is the easiest way to solve this problem.

It shouldn’t happen. That is a CUDA flag. Once set, PyTorch will never have access to the excluded device(s).

I change the place of that and it worked,thanks for your reply!

获取 Outlook for iOShttps://aka.ms/o0ukef

or torch.cuda.set_device(device_id)

4 Likes

This is a very useful solution, especially you are going to run with someone else’s code without specifying the cuda id.

According to the tutorial, it’s better to use environment variable :slight_smile:

torch.cuda.set_device(device)

Sets the current device.

Usage of this function is discouraged in favor of device. In most cases it’s better to use CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES environmental variable.

Parameters:	device (torch.device or int) – selected device. This function is a no-op if this argument is negative.

Great answer !!! It helps me a lot.

I tried

CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=3 python test.py

and it doesn’t work for me.

But

export CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=3
python test.py

does work for me.

2 Likes