2D input get mat1 dim 1 must match mat2 dim 0

I have a PPO agent and give it a tensor of size (1, 128, 100) as input (state).
The state of the environment is a numpy array (128, 100) and then convert to tensor.
The neural network:
state_dim = env.observation_space.shape[0] #128
hidden_dim = 64
action_dim = 20 (discrete)

class Actor(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, state_dim, hidden_dim, action_dim):
        super(Actor, self).__init__()

self.action_layer = nn.Sequential(
            nn.Linear(state_dim, hidden_dim),
            nn.Relu(),
            nn.Linear(hidden_dim, hidden_dim),
            nn.Relu(),
            nn.Linear(hidden_dim, action_dim),
            nn.Softmax(dim=-1)).float().to(device)

def forward(self, state):
        action_probs = self.action_layer(state)
        return action_probs

I got this error:

File "main.py", line 167, in <module>                                                                                                                                     PPO.main(args) action_probs = self.actor(state)                                                                                                                                      File "Anaconda\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py", line 889, in _call_impl  result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)                                                                                                                               File "PPO.py", line 125, in forward   action_probs = self.action_layer(state)                                                                                                                               File "Anaconda\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py", line 889, in _call_impl   result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)                                                                                                                               File "Anaconda\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\container.py", line 119, in forward      input = module(input)                                                                                                                                                 File "Anaconda\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py", line 889, in _call_impl   result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)                                                                                                                               File "Anaconda\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\linear.py", line 94, in forward                                                                                      return F.linear(input, self.weight, self.bias)                                                                                                                        File "Anaconda\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\functional.py", line 1753, in linear                                                                                         return torch._C._nn.linear(input, weight, bias)                                                                                                                     RuntimeError: mat1 dim 1 must match mat2 dim 0

Any advice?
Thanks.

Hi Aysuda!

It’s not clear to me what you’re passing into your model.

Please check the shape of the state that gets passed into your
instance of Actor (so then into action_layer). state must be
a tensor of shape [nBatch, 128]; it can’t be a 3-d tensor nor a
tensor of shape [128, some_other_dim].

[Edit: To clarify: state could be a 3-d tensor, just not of shape
[1, 128, 100]. Examples of legal 3-d shapes would be
[1, 100, 128] and [100, 17, 128]. The requirement is that
the trailing dimension match the value of in_features = 128
of the Linear.]

Best.

K. Frank

Hi and Thanks for your reply
The state is a numpy array (128, 100) ,and the shape of tensor I’m passing to action_layer is torch.Size([1, 128, 100]). So the input must be [1, 128]?
How do I do this? With Flatten I got this: torch.Size([1, 12800]) and same error.
With torch.rand(1, 128, 100)[ : , : , -1] I got this: torch.Size([1, 128]) but first state is a (128, 100) array and I think it’s a lot of data lost. Am I wrong?

Hi Aysuda!

What is the meaning of the value 128 and the value 100?

Linear (in_features = 128, out_features = 64) will apply
an affine transformation to a batch of input vectors of length 128 to
produce a batch of output vectors of length 64. Is your dimension
of length 128 the dimension to which you want to apply such a
transformation?

No, your input doesn’t have to have shape [1, 128] (although
this would be a valid shape for your input). But the trailing dimension
of your input does have to be 128 so that it will match the value
of in_features in your Linear.

In the typical use case input will have shape [nBatch, 128], where
nBatch is the number of samples in your batch.

(A Linear, however, can accept multiple “batch” dimensions, so a
tensor of shape [nBatch, nSomethingElse, 128] would be a valid
input for a Linear with in_features = 128.)

Best.

K. Frank