addcdiv_() takes 2 positional arguments but 3 were given

Hi,

I am implementing SharedAdam optimizer in pytorch and calling super(…).step functions inheriting torch.optim.Adam class.

Implementing the class as below:- 

class SharedAdam(optim.Adam): # object that inherits from optim.Adam

def __init__(self, params, lr=1e-3, betas=(0.9, 0.999), eps=1e-8, weight_decay=0):
        super(SharedAdam, self).__init__(params, lr, betas, eps, weight_decay) # inheriting from the tools of optim.Adam
        for group in self.param_groups: # self.param_groups contains all the attributes of the optimizer, including the parameters to optimize (the weights of the network) contained in self.param_groups['params']
            for p in group['params']: # for each tensor p of weights to optimize
                state = self.state[p] # at the beginning, self.state is an empty dictionary so state = {} and self.state = {p:{}} = {p: state}
                state['step'] = torch.zeros(1) # counting the steps: state = {'step' : tensor([0])}
                state['exp_avg'] = p.data.new().resize_as_(p.data).zero_() # the update of the adam optimizer is based on an exponential moving average of the gradient (moment 1)
                state['exp_avg_sq'] = p.data.new().resize_as_(p.data).zero_() # the update of the adam optimizer is also based on an exponential moving average of the squared of the gradient (moment 2)

# Sharing the memory
    def share_memory(self):
        for group in self.param_groups:
            for p in group['params']:
                state = self.state[p]
                state['step'].share_memory_() # tensor.share_memory_() acts a little bit like tensor.cuda()
                state['exp_avg'].share_memory_() # tensor.share_memory_() acts a little bit like tensor.cuda()
                state['exp_avg_sq'].share_memory_() # tensor.share_memory_() acts a little bit like tensor.cuda()

def step(self):
        super(SharedAdam,self).step()

However I am getting below error.
Can anyone please help to let know what is the issue here…

File "..torch\optim\adam.py", line 106, in step
    p.data.addcdiv_(-step_size, exp_avg, denom)
TypeError: addcdiv_() takes 2 positional arguments but 3 were given

Can anyone please help to let me know what should be the solution here.

Based on the error message and stack trace, it seems you might be mixing PyTorch versions.
Did you copy the adam.py file manually or is the error pointing to your local PyTorch installation?
adam.py doesn’t contain this particular line of code anymore, as the .data attribute is deprecated.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, updating pytorch has fix for this issue.

First i changed the pytoch version from 0.4.0 to 1.1.0
Then i started getting error like

RuntimeError: value cannot be converted to type float without overflow:

step_size was coming as complex for me. Changing it to np.real(step_size) helpe me to resolve this.