Allow in-place operations

Hi,

I was trying to run my code and ran into an error about an in-place operation. I’ve simplified it to the bare minimum so it’s easier to understand. If I’m not wrong, autograd doesn’t like that I modify the tensor y in-place, even if I don’t modify the same elements. Is there a way to allow it? Or is there another way to do what I’m trying to do (use previous slice and parameter u to compute next slice in a differentiable way)?

I hope it’s somewhat clear (it’s my first post).

Thanks

import torch

def dydt(u, y):

dy = u * y

return dy

u = torch.ones(1).requires_grad_()

y = torch.zeros(3, 1)

a = dydt(u, y[0])

y[1] = a + y[0]

b = dydt(u, y[1])

y[2] = b + y[1]

y[2].backward()

print(u.grad)

So to compute the gradient of u, PyTorch needs the intermediate version of y. As the versions (available through the not-official-api-use-at-your-own-risk y._version) are only kept per-tensor and not per-entry, you are seeing that the backward of the product u * y complains about the version of y being different from what it had in the forward pass.

I’d probably work with a list and torch.stack the result at the end if you need the y-tensor. You could also clone y every here or there so that the inplace modifications don’t hit the y tensor used at critical places in the forward.

It is quite operation-specific which inputs and outputs are saved for the backward, but here it will be the multiplication (*), and indeed if you follow the debugging hint to enable anomaly detection, this is what you are pointed at.

Best regards

Thomas

Thank you for this answer! I’ll go with a list and then stack the elements at the end.

Best,

JorJorWell