Alternating runtime errors: RuntimeError: expected scalar type Long but found Float and RuntimeError: Expected floating point type for target with class probabilities, got Long

Hi, I am currently training a NN to classify inputs into 199 categories using pytorch cross_entropy loss. If I try using the probabilities for each class as the targets and cast the targets to float:

def cross_entropy_loss(sender_input, _message, _receiver_input, receiver_output, _labels, _aux_input=None):
    _labels =  F.one_hot(_labels.long(),receiver_output.shape[-1])
    loss = F.cross_entropy(receiver_output.squeeze(), _labels.float(), reduction='none',label_smoothing=0.1)
    return loss, {}

I get the output for one epoch:

{"loss": 5.204253673553467, "baseline": 5.205080986022949, "sender_entropy": 0.001109135104343295, "receiver_entropy": 0.0, "mode": "train", "epoch": 1}

and then the following error:

<ipython-input-91-936be60121ba> in cross_entropy_loss(sender_input, _message, _receiver_input, receiver_output, _labels, _aux_input)
      5 def cross_entropy_loss(sender_input, _message, _receiver_input, receiver_output, _labels, _aux_input=None):
      6     _labels =  F.one_hot(_labels.long(),receiver_output.shape[-1])
----> 7     loss = F.cross_entropy(receiver_output.squeeze(), _labels.float(), reduction='none',label_smoothing=0.1)
      8     return loss, {}

~\Anaconda3\envs\egg36\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\functional.py in cross_entropy(input, target, weight, size_average, ignore_index, reduce, reduction, label_smoothing)
   2844     if size_average is not None or reduce is not None:
   2845         reduction = _Reduction.legacy_get_string(size_average, reduce)
-> 2846     return torch._C._nn.cross_entropy_loss(input, target, weight, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction), ignore_index, label_smoothing)

RuntimeError: expected scalar type Long but found Float

If, on the other hand, I cast the target to long:

def cross_entropy_loss(sender_input, _message, _receiver_input, receiver_output, _labels, _aux_input=None):
    _labels =  F.one_hot(_labels.long(),receiver_output.shape[-1])
    loss = F.cross_entropy(receiver_output.squeeze(), _labels.long(), reduction='none',label_smoothing=0.1)
    return loss, {}

I inmediately get the following error:

<ipython-input-94-e319bc27aeaa> in cross_entropy_loss(sender_input, _message, _receiver_input, receiver_output, _labels, _aux_input)
      5 def cross_entropy_loss(sender_input, _message, _receiver_input, receiver_output, _labels, _aux_input=None):
      6     _labels =  F.one_hot(_labels.long(),receiver_output.shape[-1])
----> 7     loss = F.cross_entropy(receiver_output.squeeze(), _labels.long(), reduction='none',label_smoothing=0.1)
      8     return loss, {}

~\Anaconda3\envs\egg36\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\functional.py in cross_entropy(input, target, weight, size_average, ignore_index, reduce, reduction, label_smoothing)
-> 2846     return torch._C._nn.cross_entropy_loss(input, target, weight, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction), ignore_index, label_smoothing)

RuntimeError: Expected floating point type for target with class probabilities, got Long

As you can see, in both cases the error is being triggered by the loss function I defined (in line 7), and internally in line 2846 of the torch.nn.functional. And it is asking for contradictory target formats.

If I change the loss function to work with index targets instead of probabilities:

#_labels =  F.one_hot(_labels.long(),receiver_output.shape[-1])
    loss = F.cross_entropy(receiver_output.squeeze(), _labels.long(), reduction='none',label_smoothing=0.1)
    return loss, {}

I also get the first batch output, but after that I get this error (in the same line as the others):

RuntimeError: Expected target size [32, 199], got [32]

Which acording to the documentation should not be a problem for index targets:

I am completely at a loss of what is happening here, I tried the same exact loss with reduction='mean' and it worked fine, so maybe the issue is there. Still I need this part to have reduction='none' so I have to fix it.

Could you check which PyTorch version you are using?
If I’m not mistaken nn.CrossEntropyLoss accepts probabilities as a FloatTensor for the targets since 1.10.0.

Hi, I am using version 1.10.1+cpu, but as you can see in the first block of code, I use _labels.float() as targets, It runs for one epoch and then it outputs the error in the third block of code.

If the code runs for some iterations and raises an error later, check the shape as well as dtype of all used tensors as one of them seems to have changed.