[Android] Something's went wrong with pytorch_android-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT

Tried to set up HelloWorldApp (https://github.com/pytorch/android-demo-app) with the most latest version of PyTorch built from source.
After a little bit of struggling with gradle build I’ve ended up with crash on devices.

Here is the build.gradle :app

apply plugin: 'com.android.application'

repositories {
    jcenter()
    flatDir {
        dirs 'libs'
    }
}

android {
    packagingOptions {
        pickFirst "**/libfbjni.so"
    }
    compileSdkVersion 28
    buildToolsVersion "29.0.2"
    defaultConfig {
        applicationId "org.pytorch.helloworld"
        minSdkVersion 21
        targetSdkVersion 28
        versionCode 1
        versionName "1.0"
    }
    buildTypes {
        release {
            minifyEnabled false
        }
    } 
}

dependencies {
    implementation 'androidx.appcompat:appcompat:1.1.0'
    // implementation 'org.pytorch:pytorch_android:1.3.0'
    // implementation 'org.pytorch:pytorch_android_torchvision:1.3.0'
    implementation(name:'pytorch_android-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT', ext:'aar')
    implementation(name:'pytorch_android_torchvision-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT', ext:'aar')
    implementation(name:'pytorch_android_fbjni-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT', ext:'aar')
}

Note: .aar libs are present

Crash stacktrace

2019-10-04 22:31:16.059 16203-16203/org.pytorch.helloworld E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    Process: org.pytorch.helloworld, PID: 16203
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Failed resolution of: Lcom/facebook/soloader/nativeloader/NativeLoader;
        at org.pytorch.Module.<init>(Module.java:27)
        at org.pytorch.Module.load(Module.java:23)
        at org.pytorch.helloworld.MainActivity.onCreate(MainActivity.java:39)
        at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:8068)
        at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:8056)
        at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1320)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3757)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3955)
        at android.app.servertransaction.LaunchActivityItem.execute(LaunchActivityItem.java:91)
        at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeCallbacks(TransactionExecutor.java:149)
        at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:103)
        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2392)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:107)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:213)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8147)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
        at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:513)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1100)
     Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn't find class "com.facebook.soloader.nativeloader.NativeLoader" on path: DexPathList[[zip file "/data/app/org.pytorch.helloworld-eCefKQPfLWFqNPNZZUphIA==/base.apk"],nativeLibraryDirectories=[/data/app/org.pytorch.helloworld-eCefKQPfLWFqNPNZZUphIA==/lib/arm64, /data/app/org.pytorch.helloworld-eCefKQPfLWFqNPNZZUphIA==/base.apk!/lib/arm64-v8a, /system/lib64, /system/product/lib64, /hw_product/lib64, /system/product/lib64]]
        at dalvik.system.BaseDexClassLoader.findClass(BaseDexClassLoader.java:196)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:379)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:312)
        at org.pytorch.Module.<init>(Module.java:27) 
        at org.pytorch.Module.load(Module.java:23) 
        at org.pytorch.helloworld.MainActivity.onCreate(MainActivity.java:39) 
        at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:8068) 
        at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:8056) 
        at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1320) 
        at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3757) 
        at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3955) 
        at android.app.servertransaction.LaunchActivityItem.execute(LaunchActivityItem.java:91) 
        at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeCallbacks(TransactionExecutor.java:149) 
        at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:103) 
        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2392) 
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:107) 
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:213) 
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8147) 
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) 
        at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:513) 
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1100) 

May be we should not rely on unstable version but module = Module.load() is a core feature :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There is still an issue.
Here’s what I’ve noticed except an issue pytorch_android_torchvision-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT.aar works with org.pytorch:pytorch_android:1.3.0 from remote repo.
The problem occurs only with pytorch_android-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT.aar

Hello Emil,

If you have not changed the source - you can use our nightly builds that are published every night to nexus sonatype maven repo.

To use it:

repositories {

maven {
url “https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots
}
}

dependencies {
implementation ‘androidx.appcompat:appcompat:1.1.0’
implementation ‘org.pytorch:pytorch_android:1.4.0-SNAPSHOT’
implementation ‘org.pytorch:pytorch_android_torchvision:1.4.0-SNAPSHOT’
}

I rechecked HelloWorldApp with the latest published 1.4.0-SNAPSHOT - it works fine.

1. About your failure:

It looks like that in your aar you do not have dependency: ( com.facebook.soloader:nativeloader )
which was added after 1.3.0 release:

Please add it manually:
implementation ‘com.facebook.soloader:nativeloader:0.8.0’

In case of using maven dependency gradle will parse pom file that has this dependency and add it automatically. For manual aar files we have to add all transitive dependencies manually.

hello Emil,

I am having trouble while trying to deploy keypoint_rcnn in android. Can you please explain me how to build latest pytorch mobile using source? I read documentation but its not clear enough for me. Can you please help me out?

1 Like

The latest source is built daily so I recommend you to try to follow the solution that Ivan has provided.
This snapshot version is the most recent. Add the repository and pytorch mobile library will be downloaded automatically

I have tried with adding dependency pytorch 1.4 snapshot to export keypoint_rcnn in android. But now build fails without showing any errors. what should be exact problem?

At first I think you need to make sure that your TorchScript model works well in Python and it can be found in the right place on your phone.

At the second point I think there should be an errors if the build crashes

Yes my torchscript model works well on python. and there is no error after failing of build. By the way, I came to know that they haven’t added support for keypoint_rcnn yet. Take a look at this : https://github.com/pytorch/vision/issues/1943