Attention in many-to-one LSTM

Hi folks,

I have read a lot about attention mechanisms in Encoder-Decoder networks.
All examples I’ve found have an Encoder -> Attention -> Decoder Mechanism.

My LSTM which I use for next class prediction (input is a sequence of 10 concatenated Bert-embeddings, so n_input=10 * 768) (more precisely I’m trying to do anomaly detection). It works, I’m getting results which are “ok”, recall is 1.0, but F1 Score of “only” 0.55. So I was thinking of implementing an attention mechanism.

def __init__(self, n_input, n_hidden_units, n_layers, n_classes, tie_weights=False, train_mode=False):
    super(LSTM, self).__init__()
    self.n_hidden_units = n_hidden_units
    self.n_layers = n_layers
    self.train_mode = train_mode

# Layers

self.attn = nn.Linear(self.n_hidden_units * 2, n_input)
    self.attn_combine = nn.Linear(self.hidden_size * 2, self.hidden_size)
    self.lstm = nn.LSTM(input_size=n_input, hidden_size=n_hidden_units, num_layers=n_layers,
                        dropout=0.2, batch_first=True)
    self.decoder = nn.Linear(n_hidden_units, n_classes)

if tie_weights:
        if n_input != n_hidden_units:
            raise ValueError('When using the tied flag, nhid must be equal to emsize')
        self.decoder.weight = self.encoder.weight

self.init_weights()

def init_weights(self):
    initrange = 0.1
    self.decoder.bias.data.zero_()
    self.decoder.weight.data.uniform_(-initrange, initrange)

def forward(self, input, hidden):
    output, hidden = self.lstm(input, hidden)
    if self.train_mode: output = nn.Dropout(p=0.1)(output)

decoded = self.decoder(output[:, -1, :])
    log_props = F.log_softmax(decoded, dim=1)
    return log_props, hidden

def init_hidden(self, bsz, device):
    weight = next(self.parameters())
    return (weight.new_zeros(self.n_layers, bsz, self.n_hidden_units).to(device),
            weight.new_zeros(self.n_layers, bsz, self.n_hidden_units).to(device))

I know from the examples, that the attention layers have to be put somewhere before the lstm. All the examples use many-to-many, but I’m doing many-to-one, and I don’t just want to put the layers and make it work somehow, without knowing exactly how it’s done right.
So if someone could show me where in the code I would have to put what exactly, that would be very helpful.

You can have a look at my implementation of a RNN classifier (GRU or LSTM) with or without attention here: Github repository.

It basically directly derives from a many-to-many model, just with many=1 for the decoder. So there’s for example no loop in the decoder that generates more and more outputs (e.g., for machine translation).

I hope that helps.