Autoencoder is not working, creating multicolored noise

Above is the result of my autoencoder after 50 epochs of training… ridiculous I know. I have trained autoencoders before and so I am a little flummoxed by my inability to find the issue here. It is a bit of a weird model but not that weird (though my code is a mess because I am experimenting with multiple ideas). I think the loss isn’t backpropagating properly since the worst-case scenario with a working loss is usually a gray image, not this multicolored noise.

Here are some problems I am considering:

• I am training on TPUs so perhaps I am missing some PyTorch xla thing.
  • I have two outputs and I hold the 2 output tensors in a list, which is then held in a dictionary before being used in the loss function. I have done this before so I don’t think that should be an issue.
  • I am using nn.upsample which I have not used before, but I think the loss should be able to go through that no problem.
  • Gradient collapse??? I am using leakyrelu and the loss is never nan.
  • I have tested with BCE and MSE loss, both result in the multicolored mess.

here is my training loop… pretty standard except that I use a lot of dictionaries.

for image_batch, labels in data_loader:
            # for step, (image_batch, labels) in enumerate(para_loader):

image_batch = image_batch.to(device)
                labels = labels.to(device).float()

# vae reconstruction
                outputDict = model(image_batch, outputDict)
                # reconstruction error
                lossDict = VACTS_loss(image_batch, labels, run, outputDict, lossDict)
                #loss propogation through each VCap
                lossy = lossDict["loss"]
                # backpropagation
                optimizer.zero_grad()
                lossy.backward(retain_graph=True)
                # one step of the optmizer (using the gradients from backpropagation)               
                # optimizer.step()
                xm.optimizer_step(optimizer, barrier=True)

if verbose == 2: print("|", end = "")

my loss is (simplified for readability):

if run.daloss == "BCE":
        glb_recon_loss = nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss(reduction='mean')
if run.daloss == "MSE":
        glb_recon_loss = nn.MSELoss(reduction='mean') ## add sigmoid for this loss

glb_recon_loss_total = 0
for varActor in range(run.VC_num):
        # Global Recon Loss
        if haveGlbReconLoss:
            glb_recon_loss_part = glb_recon_loss(recon_x_list[varActor], image_batch)
            glb_recon_loss_total += glb_recon_loss_part

loss = lambda4 * glb_recon_loss_total #lambda4 =1

lossDict["loss"] = loss
return lossDict

Any ideas of what this issue maybe?? Please and thankyou!

Solved it. For people who end up having a similar issue here was the problem: I went over board with my use of convolutions with a (1,1) kernel. While these are useful in the right circumstances, if you layer too many of them on top each other, the network becomes overly parallel and spatial information is lost. Most people shouldn’t have this problem unless they are making their own weird networks.