Automatic conversion to tensors may cause "memory leaks"

Hi there,

Note the quotes in the title: that’s not PyTorch which is to blame but the careless user that I am.

Here’s the guilty code:

total_loss = 0.0  # total loss of the epoch

for ...
    loss = criterion(...)
    loss.backward()
    # ...
    total_loss += loss

For reference, here is what’s happening:
total_loss is initially a Python float variable, because we use the += operator on it, it is transformed into a Tensor. Because loss has requires_grad=True, the new total_loss tensor also does. The subsequent computations involving total_loss are then recorded during the entire epoch, and eventually clutter the GPU memory.

The solution is simply to write

total_loss += loss.item()

The type casting of the total_loss variable may have been harmless before the Variable and Tensor classes were merged, but not anymore.

As there is no mean to add in place a tensor to a float, Python falls back to using some __radd__ method of the Tensor class. I think this should at least warn the user about the dangerous path he’s taking.

What’s your point of view on this matter ?

This is known behavior and is explained in the section Accumulating losses in the Migration Guide.

You would want this kind of behavior for example if you have different loss functions and would like to accumulate them:

total_loss = loss1 + loss2 + loss3
total_loss.backward()

Also you could accumulate the losses of several mini batches and backward them together:

for ...
    loss = criterion(...)
    total_loss += loss

total_loss.backward()

Therefore I’m not sure it would be a good idea to add a warning, since it’s used for the purpose of storing the computation graphs.

Hi,

Thanks for the link, which I should have read when migrating…

I think you misread me, I’m not complaining about the fact that we can aggregate losses when they are all tensors (I suppose that would be the case in your examples). What I’m pointing at is the implicit “type-cast” happening on Python numbers. Particularly I find the combination of these two things very error prone:

1. float += ScalarTensor is valid and changes the type of the left value
  2. formatting a zero-dimensional tensor only shows the scalar value, without any indication that the variable is indeed a tensor

The second point is easy to fix. As for the first, __radd__ (and its friends) could print a warning which would be easily silenced by an explicit cast using torch.tensor.