Backprop Through sparse_dense_matmul

Hi,
I’ve seen some recent progress on SparseTensors, and I have some questions:

• Do You have a roadmap for the whole sparse module? I’m curious if you’re planning to use cuSPARSE and if there is any way to contribute to this module.
  • I’d need a backward pass for sparse_mat @ dense_mat. What are my options? Can I write a Function using the available spmm for forward, and add some quick-and-dirty cython code to do the backward? This would mean returning a sparse grad, is this supported?

Thank You for your time, I’m really enjoying PyTorch so far.

See this thread: Exploiting sparsity in batch operations?

torch.smm impleemnts sparse * dense -> sparse, and it assumes your sparsity is strong enough that it’ll help (you’ll need a really sparse tensor in the forward op). Sparse gradients are supported, and are implemented in the Embedding module.

Hi,

• for now sparse tensor support basically evolves with the needs of our respective projects. Basic GPU support is being worked on - it will rely on cuSPARSE for some operations.
  • returning sparse gradients from backward should work
  • in addition to the thread @ebetica pointed to, since pytorch supports hybrid tensors (i.e. tensors with both sparse and dense dimensions), we may add a sparse * dense -> hybrid function in the future (where “hybrid” here means one sparse dimension and one dense dimension). That would probably be more efficient in this case.

@martinraison @ebetica thanks for the answers.

I’ve just noticed that there is also an implementation of SparseLinear here. Can I use those
c functions to create a Function which will simply call self._backend.SparseLinear_accGradParameters, just like Embedding Function does (link)? Or there is some catch here?

I know that You guys probably have SparseLinear module on your roadmap, but I wanted to play around with it during the weekend, hence the question.

I hope to write the bp for my spmm kernel as well. ge-spmm presents some of it, but I doubt the correctness. GitHub - hgyhungry/ge-spmm