Backpropagation with different computational graphs in same batch

I have the following issue, and I am trying to write my own code for this issue. I do know that there is something called stochastic computation graph, and http://pytorch.org/docs/master/distributions.html is useful for that. However, I ant to write my own code for something similar.

The model itself is stochastic, i.e. say that whether or not a layer is used, depends upon some random variable, that depends on the data point. Simplest example of such stochastic computation graph is where the probability of using a layer does not depend upon the data point. I stick to explaining the simplest case with single hidden layer.
suppose the original computational graph is as follows (X is the input feature, and softmax is used for predictions)
original : X–> Relu(Linear())—>Softmax()
Now say that I use a random variable Y, which assumes value 0 or 1. I use the Relu(Linear()) layer only if Y = 1. If Y=0, I don’t use the Relu(Linear).
Thus, (say Z is middle layer’s output)
X —>Z = Relu(Linear(X)) only if Y=1, else if Y=0: Z= X —> SoftMax().
Thus, note that the exact computational graph depends upon the data point. I wish to perform backpropagation through the computational graph/s (which is different for each data point).
I have the following two questions:

1. for implementing the above idea, can I do the following by defining my own class.
    class Myclass:
    def init():
    self.linear = Linear
    self.relu = Relu
    self.softmax = Softmax
    self.prob = p
    def forward(self,x):
    sample = np.random.binomial(1,p)
    if sample == 1:
    out = self.softmax(self.linear(x))
    else:
    out = self.softmax(x)
    return out
    Let us say that I call my model as model.
    Then, can I simply use the optimize function as shown in PyTorch website: http://pytorch.org/tutorials/beginner/pytorch_with_examples.html? Like for example, can I use the following method for training?

criterion = torch.nnCrossEntropy()
optimizer = torch.optim.SGD(model.parameters(), lr=1e-4, momentum=0.9)
for t in range(500):
# Forward pass: Compute predicted y by passing x to the model
y_pred = model(x)
# Compute and print loss
loss = criterion(y_pred, y)
# Zero gradients, perform a backward pass, and update the weights.
optimizer.zero_grad()
loss.backward()
optimizer.step()

1. I obviously want to use large batch size, say 256. Now, when I use the method in 1. above, then, does PyTorch automatically create different computation graphs for different data points in the batch, and then compute the gradients in different manner for different data points?
    Thanks
1 Like