Backward on multiple GPUs

Hi,

I have a loss that is computed on 2 GPUs and is stored in list called ll_list. At the end I gather them and add them on the device 0 and I run my backward.
However it seems to me that there are two ways to do that.

The first one consists of doing :

ll = sum([ll.to(‘cuda:0’) for ll in ll_list])

Which I’m currently doing and works fine.
However I noticed that it is way faster to do :

ll = torch.cuda.comm.reduce_add(ll_list)

But then my model doesn’t converge anymore and the loss is going crazy.

Does someone has an explanation about that ?
Thanks

From what I know that should give you the same thing.
Note that they might not give bit-perfect same result, but that is expected because of float computation.
You should check that your model converge for different random seed and make sure that it is not just by chance that one work and not the other.

Can you write a small code sample where the two implementation give you significantly different values after forward and backward?

Basically I have one GPU handling the following computations :

S, = self.temporal_sources()
    A, B = self.spatial_sources()
    chunk_S = torch.cuda.comm.scatter(S, range(self.n_gpu))
    broadcast_A = torch.cuda.comm.broadcast(A, range(self.n_gpu))

Until I start using 2 as I would go out of memory if not

chunk_SA = [torch.mm(Si,Ai) for Si, Ai in zip(chunk_S, broadcast_A)]
    broadcast_B = torch.cuda.comm.broadcast(B, range(self.n_gpu))
    ll_list = [self.likelihood((SiA, target, Bi)) for SiA, target, Bi in zip(chunk_SA, self.target, broadcast_B)]
    ll = torch.cuda.comm.reduce_add(ll_list)

Knowing that target is a list for the self.target is a list containing the scattered target data.
If I do it this way it doesn’t work.

But if I do the following it works fine :

chunk_S = [Si.to(‘cuda:’ + str(gpu_id)) for gpu_id, Si in enumerate(S.chunk(self.n_gpu, 0))]
chunk_SA = [torch.mm(Si, A.to(‘cuda:’ + str(Si.get_device()))) for Si in chunk_S]
ll_list = [self.likelihood((SiA, target, B.to(‘cuda:’ + str(SiA.get_device())))) for SiA, target in zip(chunk_SA, self.target)]
ll = sum([ll.to(‘cuda:0’) for ll in ll_list])

I’ve been doing many tests with different seeds and parameters so I’m confident that this was not luck. The model takes a lot of time to converge and is highly unstable at the beginning. But in the working implementation this the pattern of the loss at the beginning :

As you can see it is pretty messy but at the end it converges.
However when I use torch.comm.reduce_add it gets crazy very fast :

Hope this helps.