Bizarre performance boost from using torchvision dataset vs raw data

python 3.6 with torch at 1.0.1.post2

I’m training a simple network on FashionMNIST and am getting two points of accuracy difference (89% compared to 91%) when I use my own Dataset instance vs using the torchvision. There should be no difference. I have a gist here. One can run it like python3.6 runtest.py 1 to use the torchvision dataset and python3.6 runtest.py 2 to use the custom one.

Key differences are, using torchvision dataset

dset_train = torchvision.datasets.FashionMNIST(DATA, transform=torchvision.transforms.ToTensor(), download=True)
    dset_test = torchvision.datasets.FashionMNIST(DATA, transform=torchvision.transforms.ToTensor(), train=False, download=True)

train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=dset_train, batch_size=BATCH_SIZE, shuffle=True, num_workers=2, pin_memory=True, drop_last=True)
    test_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=dset_test, batch_size=256, shuffle=False, num_workers=2, pin_memory=True, drop_last=True)
    run_training(train_loader, test_loader)

using my Dataset class

tmp_dset_train = torchvision.datasets.FashionMNIST(DATA, transform=torchvision.transforms.ToTensor(), download=True)
    tmp_dset_test = torchvision.datasets.FashionMNIST(DATA, transform=torchvision.transforms.ToTensor(), train=False, download=True)
    dset_train = FMNIST(tmp_dset_train.data, tmp_dset_train.targets)
    dset_test = FMNIST(tmp_dset_test.data, tmp_dset_test.targets)

train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=dset_train, batch_size=BATCH_SIZE, shuffle=True, num_workers=2, pin_memory=True, drop_last=True)
    test_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=dset_test, batch_size=256, shuffle=False, num_workers=2, pin_memory=True, drop_last=True)
    run_training(train_loader, test_loader, True)  # True because need to do unsqueeze in forward pass

See the gist the FMNIST definition. The point is though that there is basically nothing happened there, so there should be no difference in performance, and yet there is one (quite a big one in fact!). I suspect that it has something to do with reshaping, but I’m not sure how that could have gone wrong.

What is going on?

If you just pass the tmp_dset_train.data and tmp_dset_train.targets to your custom Dataset, you are missing the transformations (i.e. ToTensor() in this case), so that your data won’t be normalized.
Add the transform to your custom Dataset and try to run it again.

1 Like

Ah, I did not realize ToTensor() would also do normalization. I managed to bridge the performance difference, although it is slightly annoying that torch.mean(data, [0, 2, 3]) is possible but torch.std(data, [0, 2, 3]) is not.

If you are using the nightly build, torch.std/var will also provide multiple dimensions as the dim argument.