Bug in C++ TorchScript tutorial

Hi! I tried following the tutorial on loading a TorchScript model in C++, and adapting the code to run on my GPU. My BERT-based model takes in three tensors and outputs two — when I change the code to the following:

#include <torch/script.h> // One-stop header.

#include <iostream>
#include <memory>

int main(int argc, const char* argv[]) {
  if (argc != 2) {
    std::cerr << "usage: example-app <path-to-exported-script-module>\n";
    return -1;
  }

torch::jit::script::Module module;
  try {
    // Deserialize the ScriptModule from a file using torch::jit::load().
    module = torch::jit::load(argv[1]);
    module.to(at::kCUDA);
  }
  catch (const c10::Error& e) {
    std::cerr << "error loading the model\n";
    return -1;
  }

// Create a vector of inputs.
  std::vector<torch::jit::IValue> inputs;
  auto input1 = torch::ones({1, 128}).to(torch::kLong);
  input1 = input1.to(at::kCUDA);
  inputs.push_back(input1);

auto input2 = torch::ones({1, 128}).to(torch::kLong);
  input2 = input2.to(at::kCUDA);
  inputs.push_back(input2);

auto input3 = torch::ones({1, 128}).to(torch::kLong);
  input3 = input3.to(at::kCUDA);
  inputs.push_back(input3);

// Execute the model and turn its output into a tensor.
  auto output = module.forward(inputs).toTuple();
  torch::Tensor out1 = output->elements()[0].toTensor();
  std::cout << out1 << '\n';

std::cout << "ok\n";
}

I get the following error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  The following operation failed in the TorchScript interpreter.
Traceback of TorchScript, serialized code (most recent call last):
  File "code/__torch__.py", line 10, in forward
    input: Tensor) -> Tensor:
    _0 = getattr(self.encoder, "1")
    _1 = (getattr(self.encoder, "0")).forward(input_ids, attention_mask, input, )
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <--- HERE
    _2, _3, _4, _5, = _1
    _6 = (_0).forward(attention_mask, _2, _3, _4, _5, )
  File "code/__torch__/sentence_transformers/models/BERT.py", line 9, in forward
    attention_mask: Tensor,
    input: Tensor) -> Tuple[Tensor, Tensor, Tensor, Tensor]:
    _0 = (self.bert).forward(input_ids, attention_mask, input, )
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <--- HERE
    _1, _2, _3, _4, _5, = _0
    return (_2, _3, _4, _5)
  File "code/__torch__/transformers/modeling_bert.py", line 19, in forward
    _5 = torch.to(extended_attention_mask, 6, False, False, None)
    attention_mask0 = torch.mul(torch.rsub(_5, 1., 1), CONSTANTS.c0)
    _6 = (_1).forward((_2).forward(input_ids, input, ), attention_mask0, )
                       ~~~~~~~~~~~ <--- HERE
    _7 = (_0).forward(_6, )
    return (_6, _6, _6, _6, _6)
  File "code/__torch__/transformers/modeling_bert.py", line 44, in forward
    position_ids = torch.arange(annotate(number, seq_length), dtype=4, layout=0, device=torch.device("cuda:0"), pin_memory=False)
    input0 = torch.expand(torch.unsqueeze(position_ids, 0), [_14, _15], implicit=False)
    _16 = (_12).forward(input_ids, )
           ~~~~~~~~~~~~ <--- HERE
    _17 = (_11).forward(input0, )
    _18 = (_10).forward(input, )
  File "code/__torch__/torch/nn/modules/sparse.py", line 7, in forward
  def forward(self: __torch__.torch.nn.modules.sparse.Embedding,
    input_ids: Tensor) -> Tensor:
    inputs_embeds = torch.embedding(self.weight, input_ids, 0, False, False)
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <--- HERE
    return inputs_embeds

Traceback of TorchScript, original code (most recent call last):
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py(1724): embedding
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/sparse.py(114): forward
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py(534): _slow_forward
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py(548): __call__
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/transformers/modeling_bert.py(174): forward
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py(534): _slow_forward
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py(548): __call__
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/transformers/modeling_bert.py(727): forward
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/sentence_transformers/models/BERT.py(33): forward
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/container.py(100): forward
<stdin>(10): forward
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/jit/__init__.py(1027): trace_module
/home/john/.pyenv/versions/3.7.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/jit/__init__.py(875): trace
<stdin>(1): <module>
RuntimeError: Expected object of device type cuda but got device type cpu for argument #3 'index' in call to _th_index_select

Aborted (core dumped)

Why would this be? All of my tensors should have been moved to the GPU, but the error tells me that one of them is on the CPU. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to bump this – would really appreciate any pointers!

What does Bert.py look like ? It’s possible that based on your embedding layers that you are not registering and encapsulating all the attributes in the module so when you try to move the model to the GPU, not all of the attributes move over.

“ > Pytorch requires your to do self.module_name = module for things to work correctly. It’s okay to keep them in a list. Just do something like setattr(self, 'emb_{}'.format(i), emb) for each step in that loop.

Because I was managing my embedding layers in a list, whereas PyTorch requires all layers be registered as an attribute on the model object, they were not automatically moved over to GPU memory when model.cuda() was called. Tricky!”