(C++) Could not run 'aten::empty_strided' with arguments from the 'CUDA' backend. 'aten::empty_strided' is only available for these backends: [CPU, BackendSelect, Autograd, Profiler, Tracer]

Hey everyone,

I am trying to copy a Sequential object consisting of the Conv2d, BatchNorm2d, LeakyReLU modules from the CPU to the GPU by doing object->to(…) using Pytorch C++ 1.6 and I get the message that’s in the title of this thread.

The exact same code works fine using Pytorch 1.4.

Could anyone help me figure out what the problem is ?

Thanks

P.S. I am using Visual Studio 2017 and the operating system is Win 10.

P.S.1 I tried the following code:

auto test = torch::nn::Conv2d(torch::nn::Conv2dOptions(1, 1, 1));
	test->to(torch::Device(torch::kCUDA));

and I got a different message. It is “PyTorch is not linked with support for cuda devices”. I did link both torch_cuda.lib and c10_cuda.lib.

P.S.2. I’ve found a solution to this problem. I find it a bit strange that I have to force the linker to link against a library by directly adding a symbol to the symbol table. Microsoft do describe this linker option as a useful feature for including a library object that otherwise would not be linked to the program. I guess it’s just that I’ve never had to do this up until now.

1 Like

I solved this issue by adding ‘?warp_size@cuda@at@@YAHXZ’ to linker option of visual studio(2017).

1. Add /INCLUDE:?warp_size@cuda@at@@YAHXZ
  2. Add ‘torch_cuda.lib’

ref. https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/issues/33435#issuecomment-685241862

Thanks.

Seunghan-go,

I solved the issue soon after I had made the post but thanks for the reply.

hello,

Thanks for this issue I successfully fixed the same error on my Windows system.

But, I also have a Linux:

Ubuntu 18.04 - NVIDIA Jetson Xavier AGX with JetPack 4.4.

PyTorch 1.6 for ARM.

When I tried to used the same solution described above and added the

/INCLUDE:?warp_size@cuda@at@@YAHXZ to the linker option a build error was raised:

g++: error: /INCLUDE:?warp_size@cuda@at@@YAHXZ: No such file or directory

g++: error: /INCLUDE : error : No such file or directory

When I tried to change the /INCLUDE to -INCLUDE the build process was successfully completed but the original problem came bask and report on the aten::empty_strided problem as described above.

Can you please help me to understand how to use this flag on Linux system?

Thanks