"can't convert cuda:0 device type tensor to numpy. Use Tensor.cpu() to copy the tensor to host memory first." and "list object has no attribute cpu"

Hello guys,

1. I have one of the common issues of type conversion “can’t convert cuda:0 device type tensor to numpy. Use Tensor.cpu() to copy the tensor to host memory first.”
    So, I tried to solve like the answer comment " .cpu().numpy() ".
  2. But unfortunately, another issue “list object has no attribute cpu.”
  3. By trying to solve with “.cpu().detach().numpy()”, I got the error “list object has no attribute cpu”.
  4. I also tried one of the related suggestions in this forum like “new_tensor = torch.tensor(old_tensor.item(), device = ‘cpu’)” but still have another issue “4. only one element tensors can be converted to Python scalars”.
  5. The final attempt is trying using with .item() but still " AttributeError ‘list’ object has no attribute ‘item’ ".

So, if you have some idea or advice for me, please feel free to share.

Thanks in advance.

3. list object has no attribute cpu
4. only one element tensors can be converted to Python scalars
5. AttributeError 'list' object has no attribute 'item'

Hello,
According to me, ratings is probably a list of tensors.
Can you please confirm? Also, please brief what exactly you are trying to achieve.

Not sure if it helps your use case, but here’s a way to convert a list of tensors into a list of numpy arrays -

import torch
list_of_tensors = []
x = torch.tensor([1.0, 2, 3], device='cuda')
list_of_tensors.append(x)

x = torch.tensor([4.0, 5, 6], device='cuda')
list_of_tensors.append(x)

list_of_tensors

out -

[tensor([1., 2., 3.], device='cuda:0'), tensor([4., 5., 6.], device='cuda:0')]

Conversion -

list_of_arrays = [t.cpu().numpy() for t in list_of_tensors]
list_of_arrays

out -

[array([1., 2., 3.], dtype=float32), array([4., 5., 6.], dtype=float32)]

Thanks for your suggestions.

• In fact, I’ve also tested that way using .tensor function but got the value error “ValueError: only one element tensors can be converted to Python”.
  • For the second way of using .cpu().numpy() in the loop got the same error " TypeError: can’t convert cuda:0 device type tensor to numpy. Use Tensor.cpu() to copy the tensor to host memory first. " as in my very first screenshot. :pleading_face:

Let me add the screenshot with that variable.

This error occured as you tried to put ratings (a list of tensors) in torch.tensor.

If you want to convert your list of tensors into a list of arrays, I’ve attached the code in my previous reply.

You can now use np.vstack on list_of_arrays.

As I asked earlier, please convey maybe by means of an example what exactly do you want to achieve.

1 Like

Thank you, Ms. Srishti. The append function is already used for the variable label (Tensor object) to the variable ratings (a list of Tensor). Here is the code that I am testing and got the above error.
The types of variables:

Hi, please consider going through my previous reply again.

Use this:

ratings_arr = [t.cpu().numpy() for t in ratings]
ratings_i = np.vstack(ratings_arr)

predictions_arr = [t.cpu().numpy() for t in predictions]
predictions_i = np.vstack(predictions_arr)

Let me know if you still face the error.

Hi, Srishti-git110, you sure are of help in this forum. I’d appreciate if I can get your help on this similar question;
I get an error from this line:
line3, = plt.plot(range(len(PredyList)),predyList, alpha = 0.8,label = ‘Predicted’)
The Predy list is now a one D list. It initially was two before i flatten. The element lists are tensors
i.e. [tensor([9.5960], device=‘cuda:0’, grad_fn=), tensor([10.0286],
This is the error i get:
can’t convert cuda:0 device type tensor to numpy. Use Tensor.cpu() to copy the tensor to host memory first.

SEARCH STACK OVERFLOW

Hey @R_Japh ,
Sorry for getting back so late.

As the error message says, you’re trying to use a tensor that’s on GPU as a numpy array which isn’t supported by numpy yet.

So, it’s the first element of PredyList that’s problematic -

You’ll need to ensure that each item of your list is a tensor on the CPU.
Use this to copy tensors in PredyList from GPU to the host memory -

PredyList = [t.cpu() for t in PredyList]
plt.plot(PredyList)
plt.show()