Chatbot Tutorial on Pytorch documentation, gathering indices that are invalid

(Tony Nguyen) #1

Hi,
From this tutorial here: https://pytorch.org/tutorials/beginner/chatbot_tutorial.html,
at the part where we calculate the loss using:

def maskNLLLoss(inp, target, mask):
    nTotal = mask.sum()
    crossEntropy = -torch.log(torch.gather(inp, 1, target.view(-1, 1)).squeeze(1))
    loss = crossEntropy.masked_select(mask).mean()
    loss = loss.to(device)
    return loss, nTotal.item()

Why are we using target.view(-1, 1) as the index to gather from? target contains word indices, if I’m not mistaken, which, given a large corpus can be very huge, and thus won’t be valid indices for the function to use to select from.

Also, we do we only gather from the first dimension?

inp will probably contain the prediction probabilities as [batch_size, nb_words].
If that’s the case, the gather operation will get all predictions for the current target word index in each sample:

batch_size = 5
nb_words = 10

inp = torch.randn(batch_size, nb_words)
target = torch.randint(0, nb_words, (batch_size,))
torch.gather(inp, 1, target.view(-1, 1))
(Tony Nguyen) #3

Ah, I see, so this function requires the resulting probability to be of size (batch_size, number of words).

I’ve been reading articles about implementing a chatbot using the Transformer model from Google. I was borrowing the training loop here. However, the Transformer model requires the user to input an output size or as the paper from Google calls it, d_model. So currently, I am getting decoder outputs of size [batch_size, d_model]. How would I go about calculating the loss for this, do you have any pointer? Thanks.