Choosing correct loss function

Hello,

I currently have a network that is running, but my final outputs are not matching what they should, and I think the issue has to do with my loss function. The network takes in a 1x12 binary vector and outputs a 1x30 vector. Here’s my code:

#Define a Net class that models the architecture described above
#This will be a subclass of the generical nn.Model class
class Net(nn.Module):

#constructor method includes definitions of weight matrices for the layers
   #these matrices will be available by calling the parameters() instance function
    def __init__(self):
        super(Net, self).__init__()

#define the operations y = Wx + b associated with the connection weights
        self.item_to_rep = nn.Linear(8, 8)         #maps 8 inputs to 8 representation nodes
        self.rep_rel_to_hidden = nn.Linear(12, 15) #maps 12 representation & relation nodes to 15 hidden nodes
        self.hidden_to_out = nn.Linear(15, 30)     #maps 15 hidden nodes to 30 output nodes
        self.loss = nn.BCELoss()          #uses BCE loss function

#propagates inputs to outputs using current weights in computation
   #backward method is not defined in this class - it's incorporated into PyTorch
    def forward(self, x):

#split input into item and relation nodes
        item = x[:8]
        rel = x[8:]

rep = F.relu(self.item_to_rep(item))
        temp = torch.cat([rep, rel],-1)
        hidden = F.relu(self.rep_rel_to_hidden(temp))
        output = F.sigmoid(self.hidden_to_out(hidden))

return output

#main computation
def buildAndTrainNetwork():
    net = Net() #initialize network
    optimizer = optim.SGD(net.parameters(), lr=0.01) #specifies learning algorithm, rate

targets, x = textToTensor() 

#this method isn't done but here's something:
    for n in range(5000):
        for i in range(len(x[0])):
            y = net(x[i])            #forward-propagates inputs to outputs using current weights
            optimizer.zero_grad()     #clears gradient records to prepare for weights update
            error = net.loss(y,targets[i])     #computs output loss for current training instances
            error.backward()          #triggers the backpropagation of errors
            optimizer.step()          #updates weights based on backpropagated errors
        if n%500 == 0:
            print(error.data[0])
    print(y,targets[i])

I’ve tried switching to a bunch of different loss functions without having any luck.

Here’s a screenshot of my activation output vs target output after 5,000 epochs:

The activation of the 8th node is highest by a lot, but still isn’t close enough to 1.

Not really sure what’s going on here since I’m pretty new, and some insight would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Try to train with mini-batches instead of one sample at a time.