Cloning parameters slow compared to copying

I am using Libtorch for a genetic algorithm where I need to clone individuals and mutate the clones. I have written a method to do this. This method is one of the most used functions in my code and I have found that removing my clone operation in favour of a copy operation speeds up the code almost 5x.

So I think I might be doing something very wrong. I cannot use a simple copy operation as the changes in copied individuals will reflect on the original. I’ve added a small toy example to show-case this issue:

struct NodeTest : torch::nn::Module {
public:
    NodeTest(){
        value = register_parameter("val", torch::rand({1}, torch::TensorOptions().dtype(torch::kFloat)).requires_grad_(true));
    }

void change_value(){
        this->parameters()[0].data() = torch::rand({1}, torch::TensorOptions().dtype(torch::kFloat));
    }

torch::Tensor value;
};

struct IndividualTest {
public:
    IndividualTest() {
        input_nodes.emplace_back(NodeTest());
    }

IndividualTest clone(){
        IndividualTest new_ind = IndividualTest();
        new_ind = *this;

new_ind.input_nodes[0] = NodeTest();
        new_ind.input_nodes[0].parameters()[0].data() = this->input_nodes[0].parameters()[0].data();

return new_ind;
    }

void print(){
        cout<<this->input_nodes[0].parameters()[0].data().item<float>()<<endl;
    }

void change_value(){
        this->input_nodes[0].change_value();
    }

std::vector<NodeTest> input_nodes;
};

IndividualTest original = IndividualTest();
    IndividualTest copy = original;

cout<<"original before: "<<endl;
    original.print();

copy.change_value();

cout<<"copy: "<<endl;
    copy.print();

cout<<"original after: "<<endl;
    original.print();

IndividualTest clone = original.clone();

cout<<"#######new test#########"<<endl;

cout<<"original before: "<<endl;
    original.print();

clone.change_value();

cout<<"clone: "<<endl;
    clone.print();

cout<<"original after: "<<endl;
    original.print();

In my actual code an individual contains many nodes, but the node structure is approximately the same. How can I avoid this costly cloning operation? The registered parameters all have the same memory address when I copy them (like a shared pointer?). I need them to be unique for each individual

The difference between the clone and copy in your code would be that the former allocates new memory for the object (also known as a deepcopy in Python) while the latter would share the same parameters/memory and would thus be faster. If you need to create a clone of the model I don’t think there is a way around it.