Converting Lua to PyTorch

Hello,

I’ve seen some posts about this topic, but I my lack of knowledge with regards to lua is providing me some difficulty with converting a segment of code to work with PyTorch. I have also never worked with PyTorch. Honestly this whole task is entirely uncharted waters, so answers can be literally anything anyone might think is helpful.

I have pasted the portion of code. I am trying to pull this CNN encoder from a model from a paper to use with another model. The paper uses a pretrained google word2vec model (GoogleNews-vectors-negative300) which you can see is loaded into a LookupTable. This segment of code is drawn from this: oposum/hierMIL.lua at master · stangelid/oposum · GitHub but I only need the sentenceEncoder part. I’m a research undergrad and feel a bit overwhelmed, so any help would be great. Thank you.

require 'nn'
require 'nngraph'
require 'dpnn'
require 'rnn'
require 'model.Unsqueeze_nc'
require 'model.MixtureTableVarLen'

local ModelBuilder = torch.class('ModelBuilder')

function ModelBuilder:__init(w2v)
  self.w2v = w2v
end

function ModelBuilder:getSentenceEncoder()
  if opt.cudnn == 1 then
    require 'cudnn'
    require 'cunn'
  end

local lookup = nn.LookupTable(3000000, 300)
  if opt.model_type ~= 'rand' then
    lookup.weight:copy(self.w2v)
  else
    lookup.weight:uniform(-0.25, 0.25)
  end
  lookup.weight[1]:zero()

local kernels = {3,4,5}
  local kconcat = nn.ConcatTable()
  for i = 1, #kernels do
    local conv
    if opt.cudnn == 1 then
      conv = cudnn.SpatialConvolution(1, 100, 300, kernels[i])
      conv.weight:uniform(-0.01, 0.01)
      conv.bias:zero()

local single_conv = nn.Sequential()
      single_conv:add(conv)
      if opt.bn == 1 then
        single_conv:add(nn.SpatialBatchNormalization(100))
      end
      single_conv:add(nn.Squeeze(3,3))
      single_conv:add(cudnn.ReLU(true))
      single_conv:add(nn.Max(2,2))
      single_conv:add(nn.Unsqueeze(1,1))

kconcat:add(single_conv)
    end
  end

local sent_conv = nn.Sequential()
  sent_conv:add(lookup)
  sent_conv:add(nn.Unsqueeze(1,2))
  sent_conv:add(kconcat)
  sent_conv:add(nn.JoinTable(3))

local par = nn.Parallel(2, 2)
  par:add(sent_conv)

for i=2,some_number do
    local cloned_conv = sent_conv:sharedClone()
    par:add(cloned_conv)
  end

return par
end

I’m unsure, how helpful this is as you seem to be new to LuaTorch (rather Torch7) as well as PyTorch, but I would start with:

• try to map each layer or operation to the PyTorch equivalent, e.g. nn.LookupTable should be nn.Embedding, nn.ConcatTable might not be needed as a layer and you should be able to concatenate tensors in your forward method directly, cudnn.SpatialConvolution would be nn.Conv2d, etc.
  • once this is done, try to recreate the model architecture by making sure the layers are called in the same order and their output has the expected shapes.

Thanks. Do you know what nn.Parallel would map to? That was one I could not find with heavy amounts of googling.

Based on the docs it seems to apply the modules wrapped in nn.Parallel on each slice of the input.

Thank you. I am going to see what I can construct with this information. Appreciate the help!