CPUAllocator running out of memory while assigning complex tensors

Hello all,
I just got started with complex tensors and tried assigning a complex tensor of shape (2,2) and it runs out of memory. My code is -

import torch
import torch.nn as nn

a = torch.rand(size=(2,2), dtype=torch.complex32)
print(a)

and the output error is -

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/atharva/PycharmProjects/DeepComplexNetwork/main.py", line 4, in <module>
    a = torch.rand(size=(2,2), dtype=torch.complex32)
RuntimeError: [enforce fail at CPUAllocator.cpp:64] . DefaultCPUAllocator: can't allocate memory: you tried to allocate 34359738368 bytes. Error code 12 (Cannot allocate memory)

I was just wondering if complex tensor of type complex32 even of size (2,2) 34359738368 bytes big ?
TIA…

I just realized that it works with complex128 and comples64 but not with complex32… complex32 tensors are bigger?

Hi,

Thanks for the report! This definitely looks like a bug: https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/issues/43143
Note that complex32 is most likely not ready for general use.

Also could you share on the issue your pytorch version and how you installed it please?

Hi
Sorry for the late response… pytorch version is 1.6.0 and it was installed simply through pip3 - pip3 install torch torchvision

Hi,

Yes we were able to reproduce it and it should be fixed now if you use the nightly build :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot @albanD