Data splitting should be performed before or after the custom data loader?

I am quite new to PyTorch. I am working on multiclass classification. The images of all the classes are present under single folder. I used a custom loader to create sample having the image and its respective label as follows.

class DFU_Dataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, root_dir, csv, transform,loader=pil_loader):

self.root_dir = root_dir
        self.labels = pd.read_csv(csv)
        self.transform = transform
        self.loader = loader

def __len__(self):

return len(self.labels)

def __getitem__(self, idx):

img_name = os.path.join(self.root_dir , self.labels.iloc[idx,0])
        image = self.loader(img_name)

label = np.argmax(self.labels.loc[idx, 'none':'both'].values)
        label = torch.from_numpy(np.asarray(label))

# Transform
        if self.transform is not None:

image = self.transform(image)
            sample = {'image': image , 'label': label}   
            return sample
transform = transforms.Compose([transforms.ToTensor()]) #populate later
DFU_Dataset = DFU_Dataset(root_dir = '/Users/sidraaleem/Documents/code/DFU/Labelled_test_images',
                          csv = '/Users/sidraaleem/Documents/code/DFU/Labelled_data_ground_truth.csv',
                          transform = transform
                          )

Now I am trying to split the dataset to train and test set as follows:

dataset_size = len(DFU_Dataset)
indices = list(range(dataset_size))
np.random.seed(42) # not working
#random.seed(230)
np.random.shuffle(dataset_indices)
split = int(np.floor(0.2 * dataset_size))
np.random.shuffle(indices)
train_idx, test_idx = indices[split:], indices[:split]
train_sampler = SubsetRandomSampler(train_idx)
test_sampler = SubsetRandomSampler(test_idx)
train_loader = DataLoader(dataset=DFU_Dataset, shuffle=False, sampler=train_sampler)
test_loader = DataLoader(dataset=DFU_Dataset, shuffle=False,  sampler=test_sampler)

print("train loader:",len(val_loader.dataset))
print("test loader",len(train_loader.dataset))
train loader: 5955
test loader 5955

However, as my custom loader is reading the whole of the data set, using DataLoader with sampler is not making any difference. And returning 5955, which are the total number of images in my data set

Do I need to create separate loaders for both the train and test sets? Though I need the exact same for both data sets. i.e. concatenating image name with the respective label.

Given my method of splitting is returning me only index from the original Dataset, how should I proceed in the new loader.

You are printing the length of dataset, which should remain same. If you directly call len(train_loader) and len(val_loader), you should get expected results.

Thanks, the correct length is now being displayed. I am trying to understand that since the call to custom class as below has the hardcoded folder path and csv file of master dataset (both test and train).

DFU_Dataset = DFU_Dataset(root_dir = '/Users/sidraaleem/Documents/code/DFU/Labelled_test_images', csv = '/Users/sidraaleem/Documents/code/DFU/Labelled_data_ground_truth.csv', transform = transform )

Then how the below code is correctly taking the train and test samplers and returning their correct len. Since in the custom class the csv and folder path f master dataset is being passed.

train_loader = DataLoader(dataset=DFU_Dataset, shuffle=False, sampler=train_sampler)
test_loader = DataLoader(dataset=DFU_Dataset, shuffle=False,  sampler=test_sampler)

Also, how can I check the data being loaded in train_loader and test_loader? The way we can see with custom loader by using the index of the image we want to see as DFU_Dataset[0].

Not sure if I understand the question. But, while you do iteration over the train_loader, you can get the data from dataloader. Since dataloader doesn’t have __getitem__ function, it’s not possible to do indexing like DFU_Dataset[0].