DataLoader from NLP custom dataset

RuntimeError: stack expects each tensor to be equal size, but got [8, 57] at entry 0 and [4, 57] at entry 1

I’m following this official PyTorch tutorial:

https://pytorch.org/tutorials/intermediate/char_rnn_classification_tutorial.html

However, I’m altering the code as I go to be a bit more “modern” and extensible as well. So I’ve also implemented a custom dataset that in combination with a DataLoader is giving me the error above.

Here’s what I think is happening:

1. The dataset is a bunch of names and their ethnic origins. In __getitem__ the names are one-hot encoded at the character level. A tensor with shape (len(name), len(character_vocab) is returned.

2. The dataloader doesn’t like that the names are variable length and freaks out if batch_size > 1

Question: What technique could I use to overcome this?

Yeah, your assumption is right. If I’ve understood what you try to do, then you might want to check out cat.

What I understand is that the problem is that dataloader expects inputs of equal lengths.
So, to fix that you need a custom collate_fn.
What I mean is that if you will look into docs of data.DataLoader it mentions

A custom collate_fn can be used to customize collation, e.g., padding sequential data to max length of a batch. See this section on more about collate_fn .

I would suggest you change the collate function, for your case this should work!

import torch
from torch.utils.data import DataLoader

## trying to mimic your data with the input in the error
temp_data = [[[0 for _ in range(57)] for _ in range(8)], [[0 for _ in range(57)] for _ in range(4)]]

def custom_padding_collate(batch):
    """
    This method takes list of data as input of varying size and returns the batch based on max length on that batch
    Args:
        batch: input to the dataloader of batch_size argument
    Returns:
        x (torch.tensor): tensor of data of shape (batch, max_length_in_batch, embedding_dim)
        x_lengths (torch.tensor): one dimensional tensor with lengths of each element in a batch

"""
    batch_size = len(batch)
    x_lengths = [len(t) for t in batch]
    T = max(x_lengths)
    chacater_vocab_len = len(batch[0][0])

for index in range(batch_size):
        batch[index] = batch[index] + [[0.0] * chacater_vocab_len] * (T - len(batch[index]))
        batch[index] = torch.tensor(batch[index])

x = torch.stack(batch)
    x_lengths = torch.tensor(x_lengths)

return x, x_lengths

dl = DataLoader(temp_data, batch_size=2, collate_fn=custom_padding_collate)
for x, t in dl:
    print(f"Data: {x}, Lenghts: {t}")
# This would give you your data and lengths

I hope this solves your problem

Wow, thanks for the great response. I will look closely at this and report back!