DataLoader multiple workers works for torchvision dataSet but not my custom dataset

Hi!

First off all, I am reading posts and github issues and threads since a few hours. I learned that Multithreading on Windows and/or Jupyter (Google colab) seams to be a pain or not working at all.
After a lot of trial and error, following a lot of advice it seams to work now for me, giving me an immense speed improvement. But sadly only with a downloaded Dataset. If I try it with my own it freezes up immidiatly and I have to restart the runtime, all meanwhile the CPU sits at 0%

I also read a lot of posts that are similiar to this one, and none seam to have the same issue. I believe there is an error in my DataSet class that I am unable to find. I hope someone can help me out.

This Test works perfectly fine:

import time
from tqdm import tqdm
import torch
import torchvision

def train(data_loader):
    start = time.time()
    for _ in tqdm(range(10)):
        for x in data_loader:
            pass
    end = time.time()
    return end - start

if __name__ == '__main__':
    train_dataset = torchvision.datasets.FashionMNIST(
        root=".", train=True, download=True,
        transform=torchvision.transforms.ToTensor()
    )

batch_size = 32
    train_loader1 = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, pin_memory=True, num_workers=0)
    train_loader2 = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, pin_memory=True, num_workers=8)
    train_loader3 = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, pin_memory=True, num_workers=8, persistent_workers=True)
    train_loader4 = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, pin_memory=True, num_workers=10, persistent_workers=True)

print(train(train_loader1))
    print(train(train_loader2))
    print(train(train_loader3))
    print(train(train_loader4))

this gets stuck immediatly after data_loader1, so as soon as I switch on multiple workers. It freezes and the CPU chills at 0%.
It looks like the iterator just never returnes a value? Similar to Multiple Dataloader Workers in multi Threading ?

import time
from torch.utils.data import DataLoader  # Gives easier dataset managment by creating mini batches etc.
from tqdm import tqdm  # For nice progress bar!
import numpy as np

def train(data_loader):
    start = time.time()
        for x in data_loader:
            pass
    end = time.time()
    return end - start

if __name__ ==  '__main__': 
  batch_size = 64

root_dir = R'[REDACTED]\MiniStoneShaderDataset'
  dataset = smallShaderDataset(csv_file='Labels.csv', root_dir=root_dir )
  train_dataset, test_dataset = torch.utils.data.random_split(dataset, [99, 9900])

train_loader1 = DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, num_workers=0, pin_memory= True)
  train_loader2 = DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, num_workers=4, pin_memory= True, persistent_workers = True)
  train_loader3 = DataLoader(dataset=train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=True, num_workers=8, pin_memory= True, persistent_workers = True)

print(train(train_loader1))
  print(train(train_loader2))
  print(train(train_loader3))

Using this DataSet Class:

import pandas as pd
import torch
from torch.utils.data import Dataset
import numpy as np

#from skimage import io

class smallShaderDataset(Dataset):
  def __init__(self, csv_file, root_dir, transform=None):
    self.annotations = pd.read_csv(os.path.join(root_dir,csv_file))
    self.root_dir = root_dir
    self.transform = transform

def __len__(self):
    return len(self.annotations)

def __getitem__(self, index):

data_path = os.path.join(self.root_dir,'LearnDataCombined', self.annotations.iloc[index,0] + ".npy")
    input = np.load(data_path) 

parameters = self.annotations.iloc[index,1:]
    parameters = np.array([parameters],dtype = float).flatten()
    input = np.array(input,dtype = float)

sample = {'input': input, 'parameters': parameters}

return input, parameters
    #return sample

Everything works (slowly) with num_workers = 0

There is probably something wrong here wich i am unable to find in full tunnelvision mode. I really hope someone can help me find the issue.
If it really is a Bug in DataSet, why does the downloaded set work fine?

Thank you for any help!
Greetings

def train(data_loader):
    start = time.time()
        for x in data_loader:
            pass
    end = time.time()
    return end - start

This part is super confusing. Is this intentional that you want to iterate over DataLoader 10 times?

Yes its intentional just so the results are easier to compare, also it is less vulnerable to single datapoints scewing the results

Have you tried to del train_loaderN after each step? You enabled pin_memory and persistent_worker for each DataLoader, then these threads and child processes won’t be cleaned up.

I feel like thats how it shoule be because they are reused. I read something about winders and interactive IDE on github but i am not quite sure anymore. I will try your suggestion, but I think it actually never gets that far. it does not run out of memory or anything it just stops executing

Curious about are you running you code in Notebook? And, does it work with smaller number of worker?

yes, in collab, it does not work with any number of workers above 0.
it DOES work with a different dataset though, but i described it quite thoroughly in the original question above

What I can recommend to try is to use Tensor rather than panda DataFrame for your self.annotations. I am not sure if this is something related to spawning process with pandas dataframe when using the multiprocessing in colab.

good call, I will give that a try!
Thank you