DataLoader, when num_worker >0, there is bug

Sorry, I didn’t do this so I can’t help. You need to Google it :wink: I think you’ll need to change ‘LD_LIBRARY_PATH’.

Wysłane z iPhone’a

Thank you for your help. Problem solved already. :smile:

Hi, need we set the swmr state when open the HDF5 file as:

with h5py.File(self.h5file_path, 'r', swmr=True) as file:
            self.keys = list(file['dataset'].keys())

ile = h5py.File(self.h5file_path, 'r', swmr=True)

If you don’t plan to write to this HDF5 file while it’s being read, then no. If you need SWMR (Single-Writer/Multiple-Reader) then you should enable it. If latter is your use case please read more about it e.g. here.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your contribution. I was wondering if you have compared performance between having the dataset as a simple folder containing flat files vs the dataset in HDF5?

I did not, but in simple case when you have data stored locally on the machine you use for computation it should’t yield much difference. In that case my recommendation is: do whatever is easier for you AND THEN in case you see that DataLoader is a bottleneck and your GPU isn’t fully utilised, then you might want to try binary format like HDF5 to store data. My motivation was to store all the experience of an agent from Atari game in one file, but now I’m working with approach where each episode is saved as a numpy archive in the directory and DataLoader loads each one by one and it works just fine (and is MUCH easier to work with, as each episode can have different length) :blush:

1 Like

Hi @piojanu @ptrblck ,
First of all - I would like to thank you for the great research and code. It has increased my training speed by an order of magnitude!
I have used the HDF5 Dataset with a single hdf5 file and it worked great.
However, when I used it together with the torch.utils.data.dataset.ConcatDataset, it has slowed down by significantly. Do you have any idea why this should happen?
If it helps, here is the time profiling of my training. The acquiring of threads takes up most of the time. I have very little knowledge of threading, so this doesn’t make too much sense to me. I have 6 workers, so maybe the number 87% has to do with 5/6~83%? I’m just trying to guess here :slight_smile:

After looking this up, I saw a post that suggested to use pin_memory=False. This does not speed up anything, but rather passes the bottleneck elsewhere:

Docs:
https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/_modules/torch/utils/data/dataset.html#ConcatDataset
Suggestion to use pin_memory=False:

Hi!

Sadly I did’t use it.

Hi, I followed the advice in this thread but am still stuck with this error:

File "h5py/_objects.pyx", line 184, in h5py._objects.ObjectID.__cinit__
TypeError: __cinit__() takes exactly 1 positional argument (0 given)

I put the file init in the __getitem__ function of the dataset and I set the start method to spawn, but none of these fix the problem. I also tried using h5pickle per this issue, but the error remains. I am on Archlinux with the latest version of h5py (1.12). Here is a snippet of my Dataloader

def __init__(self, file, group, vel_seq, normalization=True):
        self.dataset = None
        self.len = None
        self.file = file
        self.group = group

self.vel_seq = vel_seq
        self.normalization = normalization
    def __getitem__(self, _):
        if self.dataset is None:
            self.dataset = h5py.File(self.file, 'r')
        # do stuff with dataset

Also, I’ve tried adding the swmr=True flag in the File call but that also doesn’t do anything. Has anyone had this problem?

pytorch 1.7.1 and h5py 3.2.0 work well. Probably updating to latest version avoids the issue.

My torch version is 1.9 with cuda 11.1 GPU RTX 3090, when I am using number of workers>0 I got this warnings and they are equal to the number of workers , here they are four because I set the number of workers=4

warning: leaking caffe2 thread-pool after fork. (function pthreadpool)

When the code saves the trained model, it produces this error and didn’t write it correctly

n=write (self._handle,buf) 
BrokenPipeError: [Errno 32] broken pipe

could any one please tell me how to solve this issue ? Thank you

The warning can be ignored and was disabled as mentioned here.

The BrokenPipeError points towards a failed process, so you could check if e.g. only a single process is writing to the file.

Thanks for your reply
the code was working fine with torch version 1.1 and cuda 9
when I use torch 1.9 with cuda 11.1 I got this error
the model is not saved correctly and also the accuracy became worse when I putted the pin_memory =False, The accuracy become better when I set the number of workers =0 and the warnings disappeared but the training became too slow
in summary, I don’t know how to fix this issue without affecting the accuracy and the speed and writing the model

It seems you are facing different issues at the same time.
If I understand the post correctly, you are seeing:

• Caffe2 warning → ignore it, as it was disabled and will have no effect
  • BrokenPipeError when writing to a file → check if multiple processes are writing to the file
  • accuracy drop when using pin_memory=True → could you post a code snippet to reproduce this issue?
import torch
from utils.torch_utils import init_seed

from datasets.get_dataset import get_dataset
from models.get_model import get_model
from losses.get_loss import get_loss
from trainer.get_trainer import get_trainer

def main(cfg, _log):
    init_seed(cfg.seed)

_log.info("=> fetching img pairs.")
    train_set, valid_set = get_dataset(cfg)

_log.info('{} samples found, {} train samples and {} test samples '.format(
        len(valid_set) + len(train_set),
        len(train_set),
        len(valid_set)))

train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(
        train_set, batch_size=cfg.train.batch_size,
        num_workers=cfg.train.workers, pin_memory=True, shuffle=True)

max_test_batch = 4
    if type(valid_set) is torch.utils.data.ConcatDataset:
        valid_loader = [torch.utils.data.DataLoader(
            s, batch_size=min(max_test_batch, cfg.train.batch_size),
            num_workers=min(4, cfg.train.workers),
            pin_memory=True, shuffle=False) for s in valid_set.datasets]
        valid_size = sum([len(l) for l in valid_loader])
    else:
        valid_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(
            valid_set, batch_size=min(max_test_batch, cfg.train.batch_size),
            num_workers=min(4, cfg.train.workers),
            pin_memory=True, shuffle=False)
        valid_size = len(valid_loader)

if cfg.train.epoch_size == 0:
        cfg.train.epoch_size = len(train_loader)
    if cfg.train.valid_size == 0:
        cfg.train.valid_size = valid_size
    cfg.train.epoch_size = min(cfg.train.epoch_size, len(train_loader))
    cfg.train.valid_size = min(cfg.train.valid_size, valid_size)

model = get_model(cfg.model)
    loss = get_loss(cfg.loss)
    trainer = get_trainer(cfg.trainer)(
        train_loader, valid_loader, model, loss, _log, cfg.save_root, cfg.train)

trainer.train()

when I changed the pin_memory=False the accuracy dropped,
I set pin_memory=False ,and next I tried to set workers=0 but the training become too slow
I thought that these two variables cause the errors and warnings so that why I am trying to change them

Your code is unfortunately not executable, so we won’t be able to reproduce it.
Could you try to use random tensors and check, if you are still observing the accuracy drop?

how to check please ? the code was working fine with the old torch version 1.1 so is the new torch version is the reason for this error ?

Hey! Sorry to revive such an old topic but recently I’ve been redoing my implementation of a project to try to squeeze out the max amount of performance out of it and decided to use h5 file for datasets.
In your recommendations you mention to use a DataLoader with a batch_sampler because random access to hdf5 files is slow. What would be the difference between using a custom batch_sampler to grab random samples, and just using the default sampler with shuffle=True?

For context, this is my H5Dataset implementation:

class H5Dataset(torch.utils.data.Dataset):
    def __init__(self, path, split, mode):
        self.file_path = path
        self.dataset = None
        self.split = split
        self.mode = mode
        with h5py.File(self.file_path, 'r') as file:
            if self.split == "pixel_values":
                self.dataset_len = len(file[self.split])
            else:
                assert len(file[self.split]["img_id"]) == len(file[self.split]["category"]) == len(
                    file[self.split]["category"]) == len(file[self.split]["attention_mask"]) == len(file[self.split]["input_ids"]), "non matching number of entries in .h5 file."
                self.dataset_len = len(file[self.split]["img_id"])
            self.categories = [category.decode("utf-8") for category in np.unique(file[self.split]["category"])]

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        if self.dataset is None:
            self.dataset = h5py.File(self.file_path, 'r')
        output = {}
        output["attention_mask"] = self.dataset[self.split + "/attention_mask"][idx]
        output["category"] = self.dataset[self.split + "/category"][idx].decode("utf-8")
        output["img_id"] = self.dataset[self.split + "/img_id"][idx]
        output["input_ids"] = self.dataset[self.split + "/input_ids"][idx]
        output["label"] = self.dataset[self.split + "/label"][idx]
        if self.mode == "baseline":
            output["pixel_values"] = self.dataset["pixel_values"][output["img_id"]][4]
        elif self.mode == "patching":
            output["pixel_values"] = self.dataset["pixel_values"][output["img_id"]]
        return output

def __len__(self):
        return self.dataset_len

and in my Trainer implementation I keep the dataset related stuff (Datasets and DataLoaders) as follows:

self.train_dataset = H5Dataset(os.path.join("datasets", "dataset_folder", "dataset_file.h5"), "train", model)
self.train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(self.train_dataset, batch_size=self.batch_size,shuffle=True, num_workers=4)
self.validation_dataset = H5Dataset(os.path.join("datasets", "dataset_folder", "dataset_file.h5"), "validation", model)
self.validation_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(self.validation_dataset, batch_size=self.batch_size,shuffle=False, num_workers=4)
self.test_dataset = H5Dataset(os.path.join("datasets", "dataset_folder", "dataset_file.h5"), "test", model)
self.test_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(self.test_dataset, batch_size=self.batch_size,
                                                        shuffle=False, num_workers=4)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I am quite new to this :slight_smile:

Update for anyone in 2023. I don’t think you need to open the file pointer in __getitem__ anymore. The following code seems to work fine:

import h5py
import numpy as np
from torch.utils.data import DataLoader, Dataset

class H5Dataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, h5_path):
        self.h5_file = h5py.File(h5_path, "r")

def __getitem__(self, index):
        return (
            self.h5_file["data"][index],
            self.h5_file["target"][index],
        )

def __len__(self):
        return self.h5_file["target"].size

# --
# Make data
with h5py.File("test.h5", "w") as f:
    f.create_dataset("data", data=np.random.uniform(0, 1, (256, 1024, 1024)))
    f.create_dataset("target", data=np.random.choice(1000, size=256))

# Runs correctly
dataloader = DataLoader(H5Dataset("test.h5"), batch_size=32, num_workers=0, shuffle=True)

for i, (data, target) in enumerate(dataloader):
    print(data.shape)
    if i > 10:
        break

# also runs correctly
dataloader = DataLoader(H5Dataset("test.h5"), batch_size=32, num_workers=8, shuffle=True)

for i, (data, target) in enumerate(dataloader):
    print(data.shape)
    if i > 10:
        break
1 Like