Derivation of output w.r.t input features returns 'None' after setting 'allow_unused=True'

I am using autograd in order to get a derivative of the output w.r.t the input features, using the following code:

torch.autograd.grad(
                outputs=pred,
                inputs=input,    
                allow_unused=True, 
                retain_graph=True, 
                create_graph=True)[0])

I had to set ‘allow_unused=True’ after getting the error:

RuntimeError: One of the differentiated Tensors appears to not have been used in the graph. Set allow_unused=True if this is the desired behavior.

but then the gradients are always ‘None’.
What could be the reason for this behavior?

Hi,

As the original error says: the “pred” was not computed in a differentiable way from the point of view of the autograd. Can you share the code that is used to compute pred based on input?

Sure, this the code for the model:

class EGNN(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, in_node_nf, in_edge_nf, hidden_nf, device='cpu', act_fn=nn.SiLU(), n_layers=4, coords_weight=1.0, attention=False, node_attr=1):
        super(EGNN, self).__init__()
        self.hidden_nf = hidden_nf
        self.device = device
        self.n_layers = n_layers

### Encoder
        self.embedding = nn.Linear(in_node_nf, hidden_nf)
        self.node_attr = node_attr
        if node_attr:
            n_node_attr = in_node_nf
        else:
            n_node_attr = 0
        for i in range(0, n_layers):
            self.add_module("gcl_%d" % i, E_GCL_mask(self.hidden_nf, self.hidden_nf, self.hidden_nf, edges_in_d=in_edge_nf, nodes_attr_dim=n_node_attr, act_fn=act_fn, recurrent=True, coords_weight=coords_weight, attention=attention))

self.node_dec = nn.Sequential(nn.Linear(self.hidden_nf, self.hidden_nf),
                                      act_fn,
                                      nn.Linear(self.hidden_nf, self.hidden_nf))

self.graph_dec = nn.Sequential(nn.Linear(self.hidden_nf, self.hidden_nf),
                                       act_fn,
                                       nn.Linear(self.hidden_nf, 1))
        self.to(self.device)

def forward(self, h0, x, edges, edge_attr, node_mask, edge_mask, n_nodes):
        h = self.embedding(h0)
        for i in range(0, self.n_layers):
            if self.node_attr:
                h, _, _ = self._modules["gcl_%d" % i](h, edges, x, node_mask, edge_mask, edge_attr=edge_attr, node_attr=h0, n_nodes=n_nodes)
            else:
                h, _, _ = self._modules["gcl_%d" % i](h, edges, x, node_mask, edge_mask, edge_attr=edge_attr,
                                                      node_attr=None, n_nodes=n_nodes)

h = self.node_dec(h)
        h = h * node_mask
        h = h.view(-1, n_nodes, self.hidden_nf)
        h = torch.sum(h, dim=1)
        pred = self.graph_dec(h)

return pred.squeeze(1)

then in in the training function I used the following code:

model = EGNN(in_node_nf=6, in_edge_nf=0, hidden_nf=args.nf, device=device,n_layers=args.n_layers, coords_weight=1.0, attention=args.attention, node_attr=args.node_attr)
pred = model(h0=nodes, x=atom_positions, edges=edges, edge_attr=None, node_mask=atom_mask, edge_mask=edge_mask, n_nodes=n_nodes)
atom_positions.requires_grad_(True)
grad = []
grad.append(torch.autograd.grad(
                outputs=pred,
                inputs=atom_positions,
                retain_graph=True, 
                create_graph=True)[0])
print(grad)
atom_positions.requires_grad_(False)

Thanks!

The requires_grad_() call is not retro-active. You need to set the requires_grad field before you do computetation with the Tensor.
In this case, before you evaluate the model.

1 Like

Thank you!
It works now.