DataParallel

import torch.nn as nn

class DataParallelModel(nn.Module):

def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()
        self.block1 = nn.Linear(10, 20)

# wrap block2 in DataParallel
        self.block2 = nn.Linear(20, 20)
        self.block2 = nn.DataParallel(self.block2)

self.block3 = nn.Linear(20, 20)

def forward(self, x):
        x = self.block1(x)
        x = self.block2(x)
        x = self.block3(x)
        return x

The code does not need to be changed in CPU-mode.

The documentation for DataParallel is here.

Primitives on which DataParallel is implemented upon:

However, I do not understand what does “The code does not need to be changed in CPU-mode” mean? I am trying to run a model which loads the pre-trained ‘resnet152’ model and applies ‘DataParallel()’ function on the pre-trained ‘resnet152’ model, and then replaced its last fc layer with a new one. It works well with GPU. However, on a CPU-ony machine, it goes wrong. I think the error is due to the existence of ‘DataParallel()’ function, but the tuotrial says the code does not need to be changed? Also, I do not know how to swith the model to CPU-mode.

File “/usr/local/intel/intelpython2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py”, line 47, in __init__
output_device = device_ids[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

1 Like

Ya, In CPU mode you cannot use DataParallel ().
Wrapping a module with DataParallel () simply copies the model over multiple GPUs and puts the results in device_ids[0] i.e. in 1st of the number of GPUs provided. If you are running in CPU mode, you should simply remove the DataParallel () wrapping. Regarding the documentation line “The code does not need to be changed in CPU-mode.” I guess it means the rest of code( other than model definition) need not be changed. But I am not sure about this and someone else can explain this part.

“The code does not need to be changed in CPU-mode” means that when CUDA is not available, ‘nn.DataParallel(model)’ do the same thing as ‘model’(a parameter of DataParallel).

If you are running in CPU mode, you should simply remove the DataParallel () wrapping.

What if I’m loading the model through torch.load? How do we remove the DataParallel wrapping? thx

2 Likes