Error with loss.backward()

Hello community,

I am working on creating a binary classifier by using the Transformer-Encoder architecture.
Most of my code is based on this blog - http://nlp.seas.harvard.edu/2018/04/03/attention.html and

class TransformerModel(nn.Module):
    """
    """   

def __init__(self, n_token, n_dim_model, n_head, n_hidden, n_blocks, dropout=0.5):
        super(TransformerModel, self).__init__()

# #Multi Headed Attention Layer
        self_attention = MultiHeadedAttention(n_head, n_dim_model)
        # #Feedforward Layer
        feed_forward = FeedForwardLayer(n_dim_model, n_hidden, dropout)
        # #Positional Encoding
        positional_encoding = PositionalEncoding(n_dim_model, dropout)

encoder_layer = EncoderLayer(n_dim_model, copy.deepcopy(self_attention), copy.deepcopy(feed_forward), dropout)
        self.encoder = Encoder(encoder_layer, n_blocks)

embedding = Embeddings(n_dim_model, n_token)
        self.src_embed = nn.Sequential(embedding, copy.deepcopy(positional_encoding))

# Fully-Connected Layer
        self.fc = nn.Linear(n_dim_model, 2)

# Softmax non-linearity
        self.softmax = nn.Softmax()

def forward(self, x):

# # x dimension[k, batch_size = 64]
        embedded_sents = self.src_embed(x.permute(1,0)) # shape = (batch_size=64, k, d_model=256)        
        encoded_sents = self.encoder(embedded_sents)

# Convert input to (batch_size, d_model) for linear layer
        final_feature_map = encoded_sents[:,-1,:] # #Output of this is shape ([64, 256])
        final_out = self.fc(final_feature_map) # #output of tjhis is shape torch.Size([64, 2])

return self.softmax(final_out)  # #output of tjhis is shape torch.Size([64, 2])

and my model training step is

def train(model, iterator, optimizer, criterion):

epoch_loss = 0

model.train()

for batch in iterator:

# #Reset gradients after every batch
        optimizer.zero_grad()

predictions = model(batch.X)

predictions =  torch.max(predictions.data, 1)[1]
        predictions = predictions.float()

loss = criterion(predictions, batch.label)
        loss.backward()  # #Error Here

optimizer.step()

epoch_loss += loss.item()

return epoch_loss/len(iterator) 

Error message is

~/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/tensor.py in backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph)
    164                 products. Defaults to ``False``.
    165         """
--> 166         torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph)
    168     def register_hook(self, hook):

~/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py in backward(tensors, grad_tensors, retain_graph, create_graph, grad_variables)
     97     Variable._execution_engine.run_backward(
     98         tensors, grad_tensors, retain_graph, create_graph,
---> 99         allow_unreachable=True)  # allow_unreachable flag

RuntimeError: element 0 of tensors does not require grad and does not have a grad_fn

Any suggestions or help around this would be really appreciated!
Thank you

Hi,

From your code, it seems like that you are passing actual prediction value (not logits) to the loss function. It depends on which loss function you are using, nn.CrossEntropyLoss and nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss comes with internal implementation of softmax (so you have to just pass the output of last fully connected layer to loss function). nn.NLLLoss and nn.BCELoss loss function requires softmax to be applied beforehand. But any of these loss functions don’t require the following operations you’ve performed (because these operations are implemented internally).

predictions =  torch.max(predictions.data, 1)[1]
predictions = predictions.float()

Just remove softmax operation from your model.forward function. And use any of nn.CrossEntropyLoss and nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss loss function and remove those two operations. For more details go to Pytorch’s official doc of loss functions.

Hi @yash1994
Thank you so much for your response.
I am using nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss as my loss function. As you had suggested, I removed the softmax operation from my model.forward function and the two lines related to predictions that you had highlightened.

I receive the following error

Value Error: Target size (torch.Size[64)) must be the same as the input size (torch.Size([64,2]))

My updated model training step is as below and I’m guessing the size of predictions is [64,2] while the size of batch.label is [64]

# #Reset gradients after every batch
        optimizer.zero_grad()

predictions = model(batch.X)

loss = criterion(predictions, batch.label)
        loss.backward()  # #Error Here

optimizer.step()

Any suggestions on resolving this?

Hi @Kartik_Kannapur,

nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss loss function needs one-hot-encoded vector as target. Currently, your target tensor would be in the following format (assuming binary classification):

tensor([1, 0, 0, 1]) # integer encoded

It can be one-hot-encoded in the following manner.

tensor([[0, 1], [1, 0], [1, 0], [0, 1]]) # one-hot encoded
1 Like

@yash1994 Brilliant! That helped resolve the issue. Thank you so much for your time!