Extracting latent space after training

I built a DCGAN to generate images of alphanumeric characters from different font styles.
After training, I would like to work with the latent space (i.e. the input of the generator).
How do I do this with Pytorch?
Here is the architecture:

class Generator(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, ngpu):
        super(Generator, self).__init__()
        self.ngpu = ngpu
        self.main = nn.Sequential(
            # input is Z, going into a convolution
            nn.ConvTranspose2d( nz, ngf * 8, 4, 1, 0, bias=False),
            nn.BatchNorm2d(ngf * 8),
            nn.ReLU(True),
            # state size. (ngf*8) x 4 x 4
            nn.ConvTranspose2d(ngf * 8, ngf * 4, 4, 2, 1, bias=False),
            nn.BatchNorm2d(ngf * 4),
            nn.ReLU(True),
            # state size. (ngf*4) x 8 x 8
            nn.ConvTranspose2d( ngf * 4, ngf * 2, 4, 2, 1, bias=False),
            nn.BatchNorm2d(ngf * 2),
            nn.ReLU(True),
            # state size. (ngf*2) x 16 x 16
            nn.ConvTranspose2d( ngf * 2, ngf, 4, 2, 1, bias=False),
            nn.BatchNorm2d(ngf),
            nn.ReLU(True),
            # state size. (ngf) x 32 x 32
            nn.ConvTranspose2d( ngf, nc, 4, 2, 1, bias=False),
            nn.Tanh()
            # state size. (nc) x 64 x 64
        )

def forward(self, input):
        return self.main(input)

What exactly would you like to do?
You could simply sample nz from a (gaussian) distribution.
Or would you like to interpolate etc.?

Thanks for the prompt response @ptrblck
I want to use it for visualization purposes. Namely, apply t-SNE projection of the latent space representations from my dataset to visualize clusters.

Which latent space representations would you like to visualize?
In the DCGAN example you are sampling the generator input from a gaussian distribution.

Or would you like to use t-SNE to visualize the feature layer of the discriminator?

Sorry, I am probably getting concepts confused. I know that in the realm of autoencoders, there lies a bottleneck between the decoder and encoder; the encoder, when is fed with an input image, brings the data into a compressed representation of the image, i.e. the latent space representation.
Isn’t there such a bottleneck in GAN’s as well? This is what I want to extract.

You are right about autoencoders and the architecture with the latent variables in the bottleneck.
However, in the DCGAN setup you have basically a generator (G) and a discriminator (D).
The input to G might vary based on your current setup. One option is to feed in random noise vectors and let G generate fake images using transposed convolutions. You could also feed in other images and learn to transform these images, but let’s stick to the DCGAN example here.
D on the other side is often a model which might be used in a classification setup, i.e. it gets images as input and tries to classify fake and real images.

Back to your original question: you might try to visualize the input tensor to G in relation to G’s output, if I understand your use case correctly. Even though you are randomly sampling the input, you’ll see that the output is smoothly generated, if you use a reasonable interpolation method, which means that certain “areas” of your multidomensional gaussian create certain features in the images. I’m not sure, if t-SNE is the best method to do this, so let’s wait for other people to give some feedback on this. :wink:
I guess you’ll

hi @ptrblck! I actually want to do something sort of similar - using a trained DCGAN, I would like to give the encoder a new image and visualize what the decoder’s output would look like if I changed one latent variable and kept the rest constant.

Using the code from the official [DCGAN (Pytorch)], (https://pytorch.org/tutorials/beginner/dcgan_faces_tutorial.html) I’m wondering how to interpolate the latent space. Any help appreciated!

In the tutorial you are dealing with 1000-dimensional latent vectors as far as I know, so an interpolation technique like slerp should work quite well.
You could simply clone the latent variabe, change one feature to a new value of the copy, and interpolate between the two vectors.