Functional Linear may cause "RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation"

Here are my model. I believe that I use none inplace operation in my code.

import torch
import torch.nn as nn

class DIAMLayer(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, in_features, head_num):
        super(DIAMLayer, self).__init__()
        self.in_features = in_features
        self.head_num = head_num

# models
        self.multihead = nn.MultiheadAttention(embed_dim=self.in_features,
                                               num_heads=self.head_num,
                                               dropout=0.2)
        self.sigmoid = nn.Sigmoid()
        self.up_linear = nn.Linear(self.in_features, self.in_features)
        self.vp_linear = nn.Linear(self.in_features, self.in_features)
        self.ug_linear = nn.Linear(self.in_features, self.in_features)
        self.vg_linear = nn.Linear(self.in_features, self.in_features)

def forward(self, m, p, g):
        p_h = p.ndata['h'].unsqueeze(1)
        g_h = g.ndata['h'].unsqueeze(1)
        sp, _ = self.multihead(m, p_h, p_h)
        z = self.up_linear(m) + self.vp_linear(sp)
        z = self.sigmoid(z)
        sp = torch.mul(z, m) + torch.mul((1 - z), sp)
        sg, _ = self.multihead(sp, g_h, g_h)
        z = self.ug_linear(sp) + self.vg_linear(sg)
        z = self.sigmoid(z)
        m = torch.mul(z, sp) + torch.mul((1 - z), sg)
        return m

After following some instructions from Hints of error message, I got a finial error message as following,

Warning: Error detected in MmBackward. Traceback of forward call that caused the error:
  File "/Users/empramsesii/Code/structDetect/new_train.py", line 74, in <module>
    train_process(args.num_graphs, args.batch_size, args.set_size, args.use_record)
  File "/Users/empramsesii/Code/structDetect/new_train.py", line 39, in train_process
    m = model(m, pattern, graph)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 550, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/empramsesii/Code/structDetect/graph/diam.py", line 29, in forward
    z = self.ug_linear(sp) + self.vg_linear(sg)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 550, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/linear.py", line 87, in forward
    return F.linear(input, self.weight, self.bias)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py", line 1612, in linear
    output = input.matmul(weight.t())
 (print_stack at ../torch/csrc/autograd/python_anomaly_mode.cpp:60)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/empramsesii/Code/structDetect/new_train.py", line 74, in <module>
    train_process(args.num_graphs, args.batch_size, args.set_size, args.use_record)
  File "/Users/empramsesii/Code/structDetect/new_train.py", line 42, in train_process
    loss.backward(retain_graph=True)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/tensor.py", line 198, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 100, in backward
    allow_unreachable=True)  # allow_unreachable flag
RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.FloatTensor [17, 17]], which is output 0 of TBackward, is at version 2; expected version 1 instead. Hint: the backtrace further above shows the operation that failed to compute its gradient. The variable in question was changed in there or anywhere later. Good luck!

This is only one of my experiments about this problem. But all these experiments indicates that the root of this problem is from torch.nn.functional.linear. I have tried to rewrite this function, but never worked.

I tried to downgrade torch to version 1.4. This problem disappeared. However, it still need to set backward as loss.backward(retain_graph=True)

Finally, I solved the problem.
I wrongly use the output of the model as input for the next iteration.
:joy: What a fool mistake!

1 Like

I’m sorry, but this could be intentional (it’s actually the issue I was searching for): what if one wants to feed the next iteration with the output of the previous one (aka RNN) using Linears?

This would work as long as you don’t manipulate intermediate activations inplace, which would be needed for the gradient computation and/or detach the computation graph, if needed.

Sorry, can you explain better this point? I’m having the issue described by @Alessandro_Flati but don’t know exactly what you mean

Hi, gortali. I also encountered this issue after upgrading my PyTorch. I discovered that using the same network for two computations caused this problem. The first computation required gradient backpropagation, while the second one did not. In my case, changing the computation order solves this issue.