GPU memory leakage

I have been struggling with a memory leakage problem for a while and I cannot find what I am doing wrong. The code I am using is OpenNMT-py and the main change I am trying to implement is a modified training code that includes a sampling method, so I can apply the policy gradient theorem to NMT.

The problem is the following. If I include the policy gradient method in the loss and to .backward() over it, I get a GPU out of memory error after several batches:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mpiccard/Data/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/train.py", line 592, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/mpiccard/Data/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/train.py", line 584, in main
    train_model(model, fields, optim, data_type, model_opt, opt.train_part, opt.batch_size)
  File "/home/mpiccard/Data/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/train.py", line 337, in train_model
    train_stats = trainer.REINFORCE_train(train_iter, epoch, report_func, train_part, data=dataset)
  File "/data/mpiccard/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/onmt/Trainer.py", line 293, in REINFORCE_train
    report_stats, normalization, train_part,data=data,thisBatch=batch,REINFORCE=True)
  File "/data/mpiccard/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/onmt/Trainer.py", line 437, in _gradient_accumulation
    REINFORCE=REINFORCE, data=data, batch=batch)
  File "/home/mpiccard/Data/Desktop/pyTorch_last/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 477, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/data/mpiccard/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/onmt/Models.py", line 676, in forward
    ret = self.REINFORCE_step(batch,data,context_index,src,lengths,enc_final,memory_bank,part)
  File "/data/mpiccard/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/onmt/Models.py", line 773, in REINFORCE_step
    dec_out, _,_ = self.doc_context[1](cache[0], dec_out, cache[1], context, batch_i=batch_i)
  File "/home/mpiccard/Data/Desktop/pyTorch_last/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 477, in __call__
  File "/data/mpiccard/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/onmt/modules/HierarchicalContext.py", line 186, in forward
    query_word_norm, mask=context_word_mask, all_attn=True)
  File "/data/mpiccard/Desktop/HAN_NMT/full_source/onmt/modules/MultiHeadedAttn.py", line 121, in forward
    key_up = shape(self.linear_keys(key))
  File "/home/mpiccard/Data/Desktop/pyTorch_last/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/linear.py", line 55, in forward
    return F.linear(input, self.weight, self.bias)
  File "/home/mpiccard/Data/Desktop/pyTorch_last/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py", line 1026, in linear
    output = input.matmul(weight.t())
RuntimeError: CUDA error: out of memory

Process finished with exit code 1

However, if I don’t include the policy gradient output in the loss (so I don’t backpropagate over those tensors), I don’t have any memory error and everything works fine.

I have monitored the GPU memory consumption using different methods. When I use torch.cuda.memory_allocated(), I always obtain the same value, 1.7GB (the overall GPU memory is 16GB). But when I check the memory allocated with nvidia-smi, I see that the value, already from the beginning is much higher (~ 8GB) and that it keeps growing in each iteration until I run out of memory.

I have tried different ways of releasing memory:

loss.detach()

del loss

backward(retain_graph=False)

gc.collect()

torch.cuda.empty_cache()

But none of them have worked.

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem. Specially I don’t understand the discrepancy between torch.cuda.memory_allocated() and nvidia-smi. Why I am holding more memory every iteration and I am not able to free that space?

By the way, when I run things in the CPU I don’t face this problem. However, it may just be that I have more RAM memory there and I have not reached the critical point (as it goes very slowly).

After each iteration the smi doesn’t shows the freed memory. it is just used in next iteration. however, if the next iteration uses more memory than previous, it just adds up (if there is no leak).

With CPU version your RAM is memory which is usually larger than GPU. You have to see how much your model should consume the memory and how much it is actually consuming. If the difference between required and available GPU memory is very small, it will likely through an out of memory error in a few iterations.