My Setup:
GPU: Nvidia A100 (40GB Memory)
RAM: 500GB

Dataloader:

pin_memory = true
num_workers = Tried with 2, 4, 8, 12, 16
batch_size = 32

Data Shape per Data unit: I have 2 inputs and a target tensor
torch.Size([-1, 3024]), torch.Size([1, 768]), torch.Size([1, 3792])

I am trying to use the data loader to predict, but I am getting the following error. I trained the same model with batch_size 80, which gave no problems.

I am also using torch.no_grad before the prediction loop.

Traceback (most recent call last):                                                     Traceback
  File "auto_encoder_embedding.py", line 485, in <module>
    predictions = model.predict(
  File "auto_encoder_embedding.py", line 411, in predict
  File "./.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 563, in _next_data
  File "./.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/pin_memory.py", line 58, in pin_memory
    return [pin_memory(sample) for sample in data]
  File "./.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/pin_memory.py", line 58, in <listcomp>
  File "./.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/pin_memory.py", line 58, in pin_memory
  File "./.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/pin_memory.py", line 58, in <listcomp>
  File "./.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/pin_memory.py", line 50, in pin_memory
    return data.pin_memory()
RuntimeError: cuda runtime error (2) : out of memory at ../aten/src/THC/THCCachingHostAllocator.cpp:278

I see that my RAM is overflowing but only max 3.5GB of GPU memory is being used!

Following is my dataset code:

from torch.utils.data import Dataset
from torch.utils.data import DataLoader

class MyDataSet(Dataset):

def __init__(self, dfe_x1, dfe_x2, dfe_y, sample=None):
        self.dfe_x1 = dfe_x1
        self.dfe_x2 = dfe_x2
        self.dfe_y = dfe_y

if sample:
            self.index = random.sample(dfe_y.index.tolist(), sample)
        else:
            self.index = dfe_y.index.tolist()

def __len__(self):
        return len(self.index)

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        article_id = self.index[idx]

x1 = torch.from_numpy(np.atleast_2d(self.dfe_x1.loc[article_id].to_numpy(dtype=np.float32)))
        x2 = torch.from_numpy(self.dfe_x2.loc[article_id].to_numpy(dtype=np.float32)).unsqueeze(0)
        y = torch.from_numpy(self.dfe_y.loc[article_id].to_numpy(dtype=np.float32)).unsqueeze(0)

return x1, x2, y

@staticmethod
    def collate_fn(batch):
        x1, x2, y = tuple(list(each) for each in zip(*batch))

# x1 - each data point: Shape(-1, 3024)
        # x2 - each data point: Shape(768)
        # y - each data point: Shape(3792)

y = torch.stack(y).squeeze()

return x1, x2, y

@staticmethod
    def get_data_loader(dfe_x1, dfe_x2, dfe_y, sample=None, batch_size=32, shuffle=True, pin_memory=True, **kwargs):
        return DataLoader(
            MyDataSet(dfe_x1, dfe_x2, dfe_y, sample=sample),
            batch_size=batch_size, shuffle=shuffle, pin_memory=pin_memory,
            collate_fn=MyDataSet.collate_fn, **kwargs
        )

On an additional note, I am using pytorch-lightning to avoid writing a lot of the boiler plate code.

Hi @Benison_Sam,

Can you share a minimal reproducible example so people can debug your problem?

Hi @AlphaBetaGamma96, I have added the dataset code in my question (topic description). Is this enough or should I also add any other part of the code?

You should add enough code such that a minimal reproducible example can be run such that it reproduces the error you’re trying to solve.

The error points to an OOM on the host not the GPU and it seems you are running out of pinned memory. Could you check if your system limits this resource and set pin_memory=False as a debugging step to check if if would solve the issue?

1 Like

It actually works! With pin_memory=False, even though I cannot increase GPU utilization much (even with a batch size of 4096), I can significantly bring the RAM memory load down. Now my program uses a max of a couple of GBs of RAM, which is surprisingly and significantly lower than overflowing 500GB of memory!
But all of this is with num_workers=0. As soon as I increase the num_worker value to more than zero, I get ERROR: Unexpected bus error encountered in worker. This might be caused by insufficient shared memory (shm).. This was the case before and after toggling the pin_memory value.
This is contrary to all my understanding. I thought pin_memory and num_workers were supposed to help me. Maybe I lack some key understanding here!

Yes, you are right and these utils. are helping you at a cost.
Page-locked memory (or pinned memory) isn’t a free resource and the host RAM you are pinning in e.g. your PyTorch script will not be available to the system anymore. You are thus reducing the overall RAM for all other applications as well as your OS, which is why the resource should be used carefully. Shared memory should also be allocated as a ramdistk on the host RAM and will thus also increase the memory usage. Based on your current error it seems your shared memory limitation is too strict.

1 Like