Gradient computation in custom backward

So for doing this you mean, I should create a seperate Contrastive loss function instead of doing it in layer backward. And then use nightly version code that you mentioned. Right?

And can you please explain what this code will do. additional_loss.backward(inputs=net.your_contrastive_layer.parameters())

I try to install nightly version with from here.
But I encounterd an error this error:

EnvironmentNotWritableError: The current user does not have write permissions to the target environment.
  environment location: C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3

Looks like I don’t have permission from the admin of the PC I’m using.

So for doing this you mean, I should create a seperate Contrastive loss function instead of doing it in layer backward.

I think it is going to be simpler than modifying the backward and writing the gradients yourself yes.

And can you please explain what this code will do.

It will run the backward as usual but will only update the .grad fields of the inputs that were given. So in your case, you only want to update the parameters of that one layer.

Looks like I don’t have permission from the admin of the PC I’m using.

You might want to create a new environment in your conda so that you can install things.

Thanks for the explanation. :hugs:

I will have to look into this.

But, if I stick to this code above. What do you think is the correct way to calculate cont_loss_weight by Idea-1 or Idea-2?

And what changes should I make in the code of backward to run it successfully, any suggestions?

I tried this as well without nightly version, but GPU went out of memory. :persevere:

RuntimeError: CUDA out of memory.

But, if I stick to this code above. What do you think is the correct way to calculate cont_loss_weight by Idea-1 or Idea-2?

I honestly don’t know. You will need to derive the mathematical formula for what the gradient should be with pen and paper first. Then implement the final formula you get in there.

I tried this as well without nightly version, but GPU went out of memory. :persevere:

Does it run out at the first iteration? Or after a while?
Can you try reducing the batch size to reduce memory pressure?

In the research paper that I showed you, there is gradient equation (i.e. differentiation of Li w.r.t. Zi for every 'i’th feature if you compare with my code), but I don’t know why it was w.r.t. evey feature instead of w.r.t. parameters (weight and bias). Contradictorily, the loss formula doesn’t include use of parameters, but the features which go into the loss formula are result of mathematics of input and parameters!

If I use smaller batch size then I could see results for first few batches, but I doubt that it would still go out of memory after some more iterations.
However, this loss function yields good results for bigger batch sizes. So, I tried with bigger batch size,but it went out of memory after some time without showing first result.

I’m witnessing some unusual output for below code, can you have a look please!

class Custom_Convolution(torch.autograd.Function):    

@staticmethod
    def forward(ctx, input, weight, bias, stride, padding):  #input(from previous layer)'s shape = ([batch_size=100, 96, 8, 8])
        output = torch.nn.functional.conv2d(input, weight, bias, stride, padding)  
        ctx.save_for_backward(input, weight, bias, output)
        return output    #output's shape = ([[batch_size= 100,128, 4, 4])

@staticmethod
    def backward(ctx, grad_output):    # grad_output size = ([batch_size, 128,4,4])

input, weight, bias, output = ctx.saved_tensors    #input size = ([batch_size, 96,8,8])  
        grad_input = grad_weight = grad_bias = None

if ctx.needs_input_grad[0]:
            grad_input = torch.nn.grad.conv2d_input(input.shape, weight, grad_output) #shape = ([batch_size,96,8,8])

if ctx.needs_input_grad[1]:
            grad_weight = torch.nn.grad.conv2d_weight(input, weight.shape, grad_output)  #shape = ([128,96,5,5])

if bias is not None and ctx.needs_input_grad[2]:
            grad_bias = grad_output.sum((0,2,3))        #shape = ([128])          

with torch.enable_grad():
               feat = output.clone()   # output from forward with size = ([batch_size, 128,4,4])

feat = feat.view(feat.shape[0], feat.shape[1], -1) # features size = ([batch_size, 128,16])

cont = torch.tensor([0.]).to(dev)
               for i in range(0, feat.shape[0]):
                   for f in range(len(feat[i])):
                       Zi_unnormalized = feat[i][f]
                       Zi = torch.nn.functional.normalize(Zi_unnormalized, dim = 0)
                       # Zj and Zk are tensors made from feat[i][*] and feat[other than i][*]. Zj and Zk varies for each Zi (or f)

Zi_Zk = torch.Tensor([0]).to(dev)
                       for k in Zk:
                           k= torch.nn.functional.normalize(k, dim = 0)
                           zi_zk = ...
                           Zi_Zk = Zi_Zk.add(zi_zk)

# Similarly computing Zi_Zj
                       # Li = some algebra of Zi_Zj and Zi_Zk
                       # number of 'Li' values =  feat.shape[0] * feat.shape[1]
                       cont = cont.add(Li)   # 1 value
               print("\n Loss: ", cont_loss, cont_loss.requires_grad)

### This line of printing loss keeps on repeating with the same value of Loss!!!! 

cont_loss_weight = torch.autograd.grad(outputs= cont_loss, inputs= weight, retain_graph=(True))
        print ("Shape:", cont_loss_weight .shape)                                   
        grad_weight += cont_loss_weight

cont_loss_bias = torch.autograd.grad(outputs= cont_loss, inputs= bias, retain_graph=(True))
        grad_bias += cont_loss_bias

if bias is not None:
            return grad_input, grad_weight, grad_bias, None, None
        else:
            return grad_input, grad_weight, None, None

Output :

Loss:  tensor([37.218], device='cuda:0', grad_fn=<AddBackward0>) True
RuntimeError: CUDA out of memory.

I don’t know why this line is repeating so many time and has no end. And finally CUDA goes out of memory. It should print once only for 1 batch, moreover I haven’t made any indentation mistake!

This line
cont_loss_weight = torch.autograd.grad(outputs= cont_loss, inputs= weight, retain_graph=(True))
is getting executed but it neither show any error nor it returns something because its following line: print ("Shape:", cont_loss_weight .shape) doesn’t get printed.

Hi @albanD,

When I tried to include autograd.grad in backward as above, autograd.grad wasn’t returning anything though is was getting executed. I don’t know why, can you please have a look!

Then I tried it with different approach :

class Custom_Convolution(torch.autograd.Function):    

@staticmethod
    def forward(ctx, input, weight, bias, stride, padding):  #input(from previous layer)'s shape = ([batch_size=100, 96, 8, 8])
        with torch.enable_grad():
               output = torch.nn.functional.conv2d(input, weight, bias, stride, padding)
               h = output.shape[2]
               w = output.shape[3]  
               # output from forward with size = ([batch_size, 128,4,4])

output= output.view(output.shape[0], output.shape[1], -1) # output size = ([batch_size, 128,16])

cont = torch.tensor([0.]).to(dev).requires_grad_(True)
               for i in range(0, output.shape[0]):
                   for f in range(len(output[i])):
                       Zi_unnormalized = output[i][f]
                       Zi = torch.nn.functional.normalize(Zi_unnormalized, dim = 0)
                       # Zj and Zk are tensors made from output[i][*] and output[other than i][*]. Zj and Zk varies for each Zi (or f)

Zi_Zk = torch.Tensor([0]).to(dev).requires_grad_(True)
                       for k in Zk:
                           k= torch.nn.functional.normalize(k, dim = 0)
                           zi_zk = ...
                           Zi_Zk = Zi_Zk.add(zi_zk)

# Similarly computing Zi_Zj
                       # Li = some algebra of Zi_Zj and Zi_Zk
                       # number of 'Li' values =  output.shape[0] * output.shape[1]
                       cont = cont.add(Li)   # 1 value
        print("\n Loss: ", cont_loss, cont_loss.requires_grad)

# weight1 = weight.clone().requires_grad_(True)
        # bias1 = bias.clone().requires_grad_(True)

# weight.shape = ([128, 96, 5, 5])
        cont_loss_weight  = torch.autograd.grad(outputs= cont_loss,inputs= weight, retain_graph=True)

#bias.shape = ([128])
        cont_loss_bias = torch.autograd.grad(outputs= cont_loss, inputs= bias, retain_graph=True)

output = output.view(output.shape[0], output.shape[1], h,w)
        ctx.save_for_backward(input, weight, bias, output, cont_loss, cont_loss_weight,cont_loss_bias)            

return output    #output's shape = ([[batch_size= 100,128, 4, 4])

@staticmethod
    def backward(ctx, grad_output):    # grad_output size = ([batch_size, 128,4,4])

input, weight, bias, output,  cont_loss,cont_loss_weight,cont_loss_bias = ctx.saved_tensors    #input size = ([batch_size, 96,8,8])  
        grad_input = grad_weight = grad_bias = None

if ctx.needs_input_grad[0]:
            grad_input = torch.nn.grad.conv2d_input(input.shape, weight, grad_output) #shape = ([batch_size,96,8,8])

if ctx.needs_input_grad[1]:
            grad_weight = torch.nn.grad.conv2d_weight(input, weight.shape, grad_output)  #shape = ([128,96,5,5])
            grad_weight += cont_loss_weight 

if bias is not None and ctx.needs_input_grad[2]:
            grad_bias = grad_output.sum((0,2,3))        #shape = ([128])         
            grad_bias += cont_loss_bias

if bias is not None:
            return grad_input, grad_weight, grad_bias, None, None
        else:
            return grad_input, grad_weight, None, None

Then I observed that cont_loss_weight is a tuple object containing two tensors each of shape ([96, 5, 5]). It should have returned a tensor of shape ([128, 96, 5, 5]) instead of tuple. And similarly for cont_loss_bias, a tensor of shape ([128]).
I don’t know why!

Moreover, when I do `cont_loss_weight = torch.autograd.grad(outputs= cont_loss,inputs= weight, retain_graph=True), I am guessing grad_weight in backward will get affected. I have to keep retain_graph= True as well.

So to avoid that, when I used a copy of parameters i.e. cont_loss_weight = torch.autograd.grad(outputs= cont_loss,inputs= weight1, retain_graph=True) I got this error

RuntimeError: One of the differentiated Tensors appears to not have been used in the graph. Set allow_unused=True if this is the desired behavior.

is getting executed but it neither show any error nor it returns something because its following line: print ("Shape:", cont_loss_weight .shape) doesn’t get printed.

This line would print at least “Shape:” irrelevant of the result from the previous line. So these lines just never get run.
Also autograd.grad always returns a tuple, even if you have a single Tensor to inputs.

As mentioned before, I don’t think the custom Function approach is the simplest here. Especially if you’re not already familiar with the mathematical definition and the specific constructs.

Sorry, I am not getting. Why doesn’t it reach to the line print ("Shape:", cont_loss_weight .shape) and print the shape? I don’t know why autograd running the same loop again and again ( I suspect something similar to this thread) because the same loss getting printed as you can see the output I was getting :point_down:

What the output I expected when I print ("Shape:", cont_loss_weight[0].shape) is :point_down: because it should return a tuple of size 1 which has to be basically tensor of shape: ([128,96,5,5]) :

Shape: ([128,96,5,5])
Loss:  tensor([different loss value for next batch], device='cuda:0', grad_fn=<AddBackward0>) True
Shape: ([128,96,5,5])
Loss:  tensor([different loss value for next to next batch], device='cuda:0', grad_fn=<AddBackward0>) True

If your autograd.grad calls this same backward function again then yes you will end up doing infinite recursion. :slight_smile:

But I don’t think this is the case here. Because you see
Static forward:
Batch comes as input, output from convolution returned

Static backward:
We have saved tensors of weight, bias, output. cont_loss is calculated from output of forward. and within static backward only the backpropagation (cont_loss w.r.t weight,bias) happens. And for one batch static backward for this layer will be called once only (Hence, within backward backpropagation also happens once for one batch.) :man_shrugging: :smile:
Right?

Isn’t the cont_loss that you compute during the backward computed based on the forward’s output?
If so, when you try to get gradients wrt to the weights, it will backrprop through this custom Function again trying to get gradients for the weights given gradients from the output. And so you will infinite recurse right?

It is indeed :grin:
Yes, I got your point.

I had that doubt, that’s why I tried to to this forward like in this code.
I am getting correct shapes of cont_loss_weight and cont_loss_bias, but I doubt if that’s a correct way!! What are your thoughts? :thinking:

This code is a bit confusing to me…
But again, it seems to just be calling into the autograd. Why not just the autograd end to end?? I really think you should drop the custom Function and compute that you need using the autograd!

But the thing is I have to include gradient of cont_loss somehow into to backward i.e. grad_weight += cont_loss_weight. I am not sure what you mean by this.

Can you write a code sample please?

With latest nightly:

out, F = model(inp)
# here F is whatever information you need from the model to compute the contrastive loss

loss = criterion(out, label)
cont_loss = compute_cont_loss(out, F)

model.zero_grad()
loss.backward(retain_graph=True) # Use retain graph because you do two backward
cont_loss.backward(inputs=model.special_layer.parameters())
opt.step()

If you don’t have latest nightly. You can use autograd.grad() like you do your code and manually add these gradients to the params by doing something like

cont_params = list(model.special_layer.parameters())
grads = autograd.grad(cont_loss, inputs=cont_params)
for p, g in zip(cont_params, grads):
  p.grad += g

Hi @albanD,

Thanks for replying. Based on your recommendation, I tried the following but GPU goes out of memory.

## Training and Testing loop    
ct = torch.nn.CrossEntropyLoss()
ct2 = Cont_loss_torch_module(t=0.08).to(device) 

step= 0

for epoch in range(num_epochs):

for _, (images, labels) in enumerate(train_loader):
        images= images.to(device)
        labels = labels.to(device)
        if step% 200== 0:
            Classifier.eval()
            with torch.no_grad():
                 #Testing
            Classifier.train()                
        conv4_out, output = Classifier(images)
        loss = ct(output, labels)
        Cont_loss = ct2(conv4_out, labels)

# total_loss = loss + Cont_loss
        # total_loss.backward()

loss.backward(retain_graph=True)
        cont_params = list(conv4.parameters())
        grads = autograd.grad(Cont_loss, inputs= cont_params)
            p.grad += g
        optimizer.step()                                
        optimizer.zero_grad()                      

## Tracking Accuracy
        step+=1

Does this mean that it will run the backward as usual but will only update the .grad fields of the parameters of that particular layer (i.e. conv4)?

If you use autograd.grad it does not update any .grad field, that is why you have to do it by hand afterwards.

I tried the following but GPU goes out of memory

That would be unrelated. You need to make sure your model/batchsize are small enough to fit in memory

Hi, based on what I understood I am doing this, to make sure that the gradients of conv1-3, 5 get populated and updated according to cross entropy loss and that of conv4 accoring to both CE and cont_loss.

But I saw

RuntimeError: One of the differentiated Tensors appears to not have been used in the graph. Set allow_unused=True if this is the desired behavior.

:unamused: Here’s the code.

optimizer = torch.optim.Adam(**parameters of conv 1-3, 5**, lr) 
optimizer_ = torch.optim.Adam(**parameters of conv 4**, lr)
# Training
        loss = ct(output, labels)
        Cont_loss = ct2(conv4_out, labels)
        loss.backward(retain_graph=True)
        cont_params = list(conv4.parameters())
        grads = autograd.grad(Cont_loss, inputs= cont_params)
            p.grad += g
        optimizer_.step()
        optimizer.step() 
        optimizer_.zero_grad()                               
        optimizer.zero_grad()    

The part of the code you shared looks good.

For the error, you want to make sure that all the params were actually used to compute the loss.