Harmonic mean of two logits batches

Hi, I have two batches, containing logits produced by classifiers. I like to produce another batch with the same size, but with harmonic mean of each pair of values.

The batch_A = tensor([[[[-0.39453]]],
        [[[-0.39018]]],
        [[[ 0.01991]]],
        [[[-0.40854]]],
        [[[-0.39593]]],
        [[[ 0.21211]]]], device='cuda:0', grad_fn=<CudnnConvolutionBackward>)

The batch_B = tensor([[-0.00552],
        [ 0.26541],
        [ 1.66024],
        [-0.33280],
        [ 0.35407],
        [ 0.55062]], device='cuda:0', grad_fn=<AddmmBackward>)

I like to have a new batch with harmonic mean of batch A and B, but the grad_fn=<AddmmBackward> or identical to batch_B

I first tried to just sum up two batches, it kinda worked, but I got grad_fn=CopySlices. by below code:

for ele in range(len(batch_B)): batch_B[ele] =  batch_B[ele] + batch_A [ele]

I tried to do similar but do harmoni mean of each element pairs

for ele in range(len(batch_B)): batch_B[ele] = (( batch_B[ele]*batch_A [ele])*2)/( batch_B[ele]+batch_A [ele])

But I got the error below:
RuntimeError: one of the variables needed for gradient computation has been modified by an inplace operation: [torch.cuda.FloatTensor [1]], which is output 0 of SelectBackward, is at version 32; expected version 31 instead. Hint: enable anomaly detection to find the operation that failed to compute its gradient, with torch.autograd.set_detect_anomaly(True).

Really appreciate any help.

hi,

1. c = concant(a,b) → torch.cat(a,b,dim=0)
  2. ((1/c).mean(dim=0))^(-1)

also

The harmonic mean is also concave, which is an even stronger property than Schur-concavity. One has to take care to only use positive numbers though, since the mean fails to be concave if negative values are used.

Many thanks for your reply. I did

Hmean = torch.cat(batch_A ,batch_B,dim=0) 
But got error below:

TypeError: cat() received an invalid combination of arguments - got (Tensor, Tensor, dim=int), but expected one of:
 * (tuple of Tensors tensors, int dim, *, Tensor out)
 * (tuple of Tensors tensors, name dim, *, Tensor out)

Regarding negative values, I will define a function to take abs values, and return the sign after Harmonic mean operation is done. However, the error above pops up, even if I make all values positive.
Appreciate your support again.

hi, it was pseudo code you’re not suppose to run it as is.

c = torch.stack([batch_A,batch_B])
((1/c).mean(dim=0))**(-1)

this shoud work .

1 Like