HELP NEEDED: leaf variable has been moved into the graph interior

Not only about the error. I have few more doubts on how to do what I want? any help would be appreciated,

Goal: First to freeze all the non-zero weights in Network 1 then copy all the parameters in from Network 2 to Network except the frozen non-zero ones. Finally Network 1 will have it’s previous nonzero parameter freezed with no gradient (they shouldn’t change even I train the net again) and rest of them are from Network which has gradient as true

Questions: 1. Is there better way to do this?
2.How to avoid the error?
Network 1 has almost all zero’s except a few hundred non-zero parameters

class Network1(nn.Module):

"""

def __init__(self, save_features=None, bench_model=False):
        super().__init__()
        self.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(1, 10, 5, padding=0, bias=True)
        self.conv2 = nn.Conv2d(10, 20, 5, bias=True)
        self.fc1 = nn.Linear(320, 50)
        self.fc2 = nn.Linear(50, 10)

def forward(self, x):
        x = F.relu(self.conv1(x))
        x = F.max_pool2d(x, 2)
        x = F.relu(self.conv2(x))
        x = F.max_pool2d(x, 2)
        x = F.relu(self.fc1(x.view(-1, 320)))
        x = F.log_softmax(self.fc2(x), dim=1)

return x

Network 2 is nothing but newly initialized network,

class Network2(nn.Module):

"""

def __init__(self, save_features=None, bench_model=False):
        super().__init__()
        self.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(1, 10, 5, padding=0, bias=True)
        self.conv2 = nn.Conv2d(10, 20, 5, bias=True)
        self.fc1 = nn.Linear(320, 50)
        self.fc2 = nn.Linear(50, 10)

def forward(self, x):
        x = F.relu(self.conv1(x))
        x = F.max_pool2d(x, 2)
        x = F.relu(self.conv2(x))
        x = F.max_pool2d(x, 2)
        x = F.relu(self.fc1(x.view(-1, 320)))
        x = F.log_softmax(self.fc2(x), dim=1)

return x

Now first step I did is to freeze all the parameters of non-zeros.

model_intialize=Network2()
model_small=Network1()

for intialized_model,trained_model in zip(model_intialize.parameters(),model_small.parameters()):
    #print(trained_model.shape,trained_model)
    if trained_model is not None and len(trained_model.shape)>2:
        #print(trained_model.shape,torch.sum((trained_model != 0).int()).data.item())
        for i in range(trained_model.shape[0]):
            #print(trained_model[i][0])
            k=0
            for j in trained_model[i][0]:
                if(torch.sum((j != 0)).data.item()>0):
                    #print("+++++",len(torch.nonzero(j)),trained_model[i][0][k],'\n',intialized_model[i][0][k])
                    trained_model[i][0][k]=trained_model[i][0][k].detach()
                else:
                    trained_model[i][0][k]=trained_model[i][0][k].add(intialized_model[i][0][k])          

k=k+1
    elif len(trained_model.shape)>1  and len(trained_model.shape)<2:
        #print("++++++",trained_model,trained_model.shape)
        #print("+++++++++++++",trained_model.shape,trained_model)
        for trained,intialized in zip(trained_model,intialized_model):
            if(torch.sum((trained != 0)).data.item()>0):
                #print("----",torch.sum((trained != 0)).data.item(),trained)
                trained=trained.detach()
            else:
                trained=trained.add(intialized)

The above for loop works well. But it’s throwing error after that

File "main.py", line 252, in train
    loss.backward()
  File "/home/jmandivarapu1/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/tensor.py", line 118, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph)
  File "/home/jmandivarapu1/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 93, in backward
    allow_unreachable=True)  # allow_unreachable flag

Questions: 1. Is there better way to do this?
2.How to avoid the error?

Note: You should be careful with your optimizer because even if your gradients are 0, if you have weight decay or momentum, your weights are going to be updated.

I think your problem is when you do trained_model[i][0][k]=foo: You modify the weights inplace in a differentiable manner and the autograd engine does not know how to handle that. Hence the error.
I don’t think you want the gradients to flow back to network 2 right? In that case, you want to update your weights in a non-differentiable manner by wrapping your function in a with torch.no_grad(): statement.

Thank you for your response. But I did modify the code to avoid inplace operation like below

trained_model[i][0][k]= trained_model[i][0][k].add(intialized_model[i][0][k]) [In second else]
trained.add(intialized)  [In final else]

But it still showing the same error.

I didn’t understand one of you statement “I don’t think you want the gradients to flow back to network 2 right?” == I am just using Network 2 only for my copying purpose.

My goal is train Network after copying zero weights and freezing non-zero weight.

can you help me with an example of on how to torch.no_grad() in this scenario. I don’t know how to set it for a single tensor

Doing trained_model[i][0][k]=foo is an inplace operation. So you did not removed it.

In this case, replace:

# Your copy code

By

with torch.no_grad():
  # Your copy code

You can leave the inplace as they won’t cause issues in no grad mode.

1 Like

Thank you. It did my error.

But when I train all the parameters are changing. But I am hoping those intial non-zero parameters of Network 1 not to change. Did I did anything wrong?

As I mentioned above: You should be careful with your optimizer because even if your gradients are 0 , if you have weight decay or momentum, your weights are going to be updated.

Also with this code, the new values are set in a non differentiable manner. This means that the training will just compute gradient for all the weights. If you want to prevent the update, you can add a hook that will set the unwanted gradients to 0.

As I am pretty new to this modifying gradients.can you provide any example or reference for that?

I am planning to make the param.grad=0 for those parameter before optimizer.step() not sure weather it’s a correct approach or not

Unfortunately, the nn package has not been built around such approach. So it is quite tricky and I don’t know of any example for this.

You can either do this masking in a differentiable way so that you don’t have to change the gradients. But you are not allowed to change the original parameters inplace. So you won’t be able to use your original approach as you will need another Tensor to store the new values.

You can do this masking in a no_grad block using your current code and set the corresponding gradients to 0 afterwards by hooking like on each parameter trained_model.register_hook(lambda grad: mask * grad).