Help with double headed NN

I have images I wish to predict on, as well as some array data. So I have a Net I am using that looks like this:

class Net(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, arch, n_meta_features: int):
        super(Net, self).__init__()
        self.arch = arch

self.arch._fc = nn.Linear(in_features=1280, out_features=500, bias=True) # B1

self.meta = nn.Sequential(nn.Linear(n_meta_features, 500),
                                  nn.BatchNorm1d(500),
                                  nn.ReLU(),
                                  nn.Dropout(p=0.2),
                                  nn.Linear(500, 250),  # FC layer output will have 250 features
                                  nn.BatchNorm1d(250),
                                  nn.ReLU(),
                                  nn.Dropout(p=0.2))

self.final = nn.Linear(500 + 250, 1)

def forward(self, inputs):
        x, meta = inputs
        cnn_features = self.arch(x)
        meta_features = self.meta(meta)
        features = torch.cat((cnn_features, meta_features), dim=1)
        output = self.final(features)
        return output

So you can see I send the images through my CNN (EffiicientNet), and then my metadata through a series of Linear models. They are combined at the end with torch.cat() and then sent through a final Linear model. The result is binary. There is no sigmoid on the result because I am using BCEWithLogitsLoss. I do a sigmoid when I get my prediction back from the model. Here is basic train sequence:

for x, y in train_loader:
            x[0] = torch.tensor(x[0], device=device, dtype=torch.float32)
            x[1] = torch.tensor(x[1], device=device, dtype=torch.float32)
            y = torch.tensor(y, device=device, dtype=torch.float32)
            optim.zero_grad()
            z = model(x)
            loss = criterion(z, y.unsqueeze(1))
            loss.backward()
            optim.step()
            pred = torch.round(torch.sigmoid(z))  # round off sigmoid to obtain predictions
            correct += (pred.cpu() == y.cpu().unsqueeze(1)).sum().item()  # tracking number of correctly predicted samples
            epoch_loss += loss.item()

I am looking for feedback if this looks sound or not? Perhaps there are better ways to handle these two types of data? I definitely have some tweaking to do on the models I am using, right now all my probabilities are heavily skewed toward 0.

Your model architecture as well as the training look alright.

Note that torch.round(torch.tensor(0.5)) would round to 0., since it’s sticking to the numpy rounding implementation, if I’m not mistaken. So you might want to apply a threshold, if you want to round 0.5 to 1.0.

1 Like

Thank you, I did not know that. This is a model being scored with ROC AUC, and so accuracy isn’t really important, just a bit informative.