Higher order autograd problem

Hi:
I am trying to implement an generative poisoning attack method and the paper can be found here: [1703.01340] Generative Poisoning Attack Method Against Neural Networks. So the problem I am having is very tricky and let me explain it step by step:
Repeat:
Step 1: I trained a resnet18 with animal images from 4 classes.
Step 2: I feed a random image(I call it Xp) into the network(This is the poisoned image init and I am updating) and get a loss_p.
Step 3: Update model parameter based on loss_p to get w_p(The updated parameter after feeding in Xp)
Step 4: Feed the original training data into W_p and get a loss_p_i.(Note that the goal is to maximize this loss_p_i)
Step 5: Update Xp by adding lr*dloss_p_i/dxp

Here is a clip of the paper I am following:

My problem is that, I am updating dloss_p_i/dxp. However dloss_p_i is not directly related. dloss_p_i is related to W_p and W_p is related to Xp. Therefore when I calculate dloss_p_i/dxp I get error messages like this:
One of the differentiated Tensors appears to not have been used in the graph. Set allow_unused=True if this is the desired behavior.

Here is the code:

optimizer_ft = optim.SGD(resnet.parameters(), lr=0.001, momentum=0.9)
criterion = nn.CrossEntropyLoss()
max_poison_iter = 10

# Change the label to an inccorect one
if poison_label[0] == 0:
    poison_label[0] = 1
else:
    poison_label[0] = 0

for i in range(max_poison_iter):
    print(i)
    for images, labels in trainset_loader:
        images = images.to(device)
        labels = labels.to(device)
        resnet = resnet.to(device)

p_outputs = resnet(poison_image)

p_loss = criterion(p_outputs, poison_label)
        p_loss.backward(create_graph = True, retain_graph = True)

optimizer_ft.step()

o_outputs = resnet(images)
        loss_p_i = criterion(o_outputs, labels)
        p_grad = grad(loss_p_i, poison_image)

poison_image.data += 0.1*p_grad[0].sign()

Hi,

The optimizer step done with pytorch optimizers are not differentiable I’m afraid. So the gradient won’t be able to flow all the way back. You can check the higher library here to see how they do this using their custom differentiable optimizers.
Also you should not use .data. If you want to update the poison_image without the gradients being tracked, you should do:

with torch.no_grad():
  poison_image += 0.1*p_grad[0].sign()

Thank you very much! The higher library solved my problem.