How do I process a batch in my forward() function?

I’m making a module and I expected to get 1 input (shape (2,2,3,3)) at a time. I just realized nn.Linear expects a batch dimension, so I need to expect batches not individual inputs. How does nn.Linear process batches and how can I process batches in my forward()? Would I just put everything in a loop over the batch elements?

This is what my forward() method looks like:

def forward(self, pair_of_graphs):
        embeddings = []

for graph in pair_of_graphs:
            node_matrix, adjacency_matrix = graph
            steps = 5
            for step in range(steps):
                message_passed_node_matrix = torch.matmul(adjacency_matrix, node_matrix)
                alpha = torch.nn.Parameter(torch.zeros(1))
                node_matrix = alpha*node_matrix + (1-alpha)*messaged_passed_node_matrix

new_node_matrix = torch.zeros(len(node_matrix), self.linear_2.in_features)
                for node_i in range(len(node_matrix)):
                    linear_layer = self.linear_1 if step == 0 else self.linear_2
                    new_node_matrix[node_i] = linear_layer(node_matrix[node_i])
                node_matrix = new_node_matrix

weights_for_average = torch.zeros(len(node_matrix))
            for node_i in range(len(node_matrix)):
                weights_for_average[node_i] = self.linear_3(node_matrix[node_i])

weighted_sum_node = torch.matmul(weights_for_average, node_matrix)
            embeddings.append(weighted_sum_node)

concat = torch.cat(embeddings)
        out = self.linear_4(concat)

return out

Any other suggestions about how I am handling my input (e.g. looping through each node of each graph) would be appreciated too.

All PyTorch layers accept and expect batched inputs and don’t need a for loop or any other change.
nn.Linear in particular expects the input to have the shape [batch_size, *, in_features], where the * is a variable number of dimensions. The linear layer will be applied to each sample in these variable number of dimensions as if you would be using a loop over these dims.

But I’m not only passing my input into pytorch layers. I also have a customer parameter alpha that I use to combine my input with an output of a linear layer: alpha*input + (1-alpha)*output. I have other custom behavior like that too.

In that case, would I have to manually loop over the input batch and build the new tensor after doing my custom computations on each item of the batch? Or is there a better way to do these sorts of things?

It seems you still passing input to the layer and apply the alpha parameter later or could you explain how you are passing alpha to e.g. the linear layer?

PyTorch applies broadcasting, so if alpha is a scalar tensor you could directly run the posted line of code.
On the other hand, even if alpha has the shape [batch_size] it should still work (and you might need to unsqueeze() dimensions to enable broadcasting, but it depends on the shapes of the other tensors).