How to extract features from a given video using I3D?

I’m trying to extract features using a pretrained I3D model available in this repo: https://github.com/piergiaj/pytorch-i3d

I don’t have the Charades dataset with me and as I’m trying to run my code through colab, the 76 GB size stops me from using Charades directly.

Instead, I would like to take a random video -> apply I3D -> extract features -> show classification.

Essentially, I want to do something like this: https://colab.research.google.com/github/tensorflow/hub/blob/master/examples/colab/action_recognition_with_tf_hub.ipynb but for pytorch.

Can someone explain how I would go about running extract_features.py for my own video (i.e. how I should update the Dataset module)? Further, I want to start from a video, so I am also a bit unsure about how to convert a video into rgb frames/ optical flow frames.

Thank you!

I generally use the following dataset class for my video datasets. It essentially reads the video one frame at a time, stacks them and returns a tensor of shape num_frames, channels, height, width
Here is my implementation of the class…

class customVideoDataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, path, frame_count):
        self.videos = []
        self.labels = []
        self.frames = frame_count
        folder = Path(path)
        for label in sorted(os.listdir(folder)):
            for fname in os.listdir(os.path.join(folder, label)):
                self.videos.append(os.path.join(folder, label, fname))
                self.labels.append(label)

self.label2index = {label: index for index, label in enumerate(sorted(set(self.labels)))}
        self.label_array = numpy.array([self.label2index[label] for label in self.labels], dtype=int)

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        video = cv2.VideoCapture(self.videos[idx])
        stacked_frames = numpy.empty(shape=(self.frames, 32, 32, 3),
                                     dtype=numpy.dtype('float16'))  # as frame would have shape h,w,channels
        frame_count = 0
        while video.isOpened() and frame_count<self.frames:
            ret, frame = video.read()
            if not ret:
                break
            frame = cv2.cvtColor(frame, cv2.COLOR_BGR2RGB)
            frame = cv2.resize(frame, (32, 32))
            stacked_frames[frame_count] = frame
            frame_count += 1
        video.release()
        stacked_frames = stacked_frames.transpose((3, 0, 1, 2))

return stacked_frames, self.label_array[idx]

def __len__(self):
        length = len(self.videos)
        return length

Hope it helps…

3 Likes

Thank you so much! How are your videos stored? (Directory and naming wise)

Well if it is for classification, it is root_dir/class1, root_dir/class2 and so on.
I generally leave it in the default structure, i.e. The way it is once you download and extract.

Are you able to extract the features? If so, can you please share the code snippet?