How to reach the exact source code in Pytorch?

I wish to implement fourier domain based convolution, for which I wished to compare the complexity of my approach with the inbuilt conv2d layer’s complexity.
In the docs, the following formula is given for computing convolutional layer -
https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/nn.html#torch.nn.Conv2d

To get to the source code, I followed the ‘source’ button on the right of the formula which lead to the following page -
https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/_modules/torch/nn/modules/conv.html#Conv2d

This code used ‘functional.conv2d’, but the definition on the functional conv2d page did not have a link to the source code.

Some answers online suggested this is the entry point to the code for conv2d -

But this link further points to mkldnn and cudnn implementations, which maybe implemented in the following files -

and

I tried to probe the mkldnn file further but it points to some algorithm called -
‘ideep::algorithm::convolution_direct’, which seems to be defined in some Intel github account.

So I could not get to any code in which we can see the implementation of the convolution function directly - as in in terms of plain multiplication and addition.

Could anyone kindly suggest can/ how can we get to the base code in Pytorch?
Or can we assume that the implementation directly uses the given formula in torch.nn.conv2d to compute convolution?
Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Like most open-source libraries that PyTorch uses, this is “vendored” as a git submodule (cloning with --recursive gets you these, too, or use git submodule update --init --recursive and git submodule sync or some combination). Then the code you are most likely interested in is under third_party/ideep/mkl-dnn/src/cpu/ in your PyTorch checkout.

Best regards

Thomas

5 Likes

I might should open up a new post, but I just want to ask if you can help me to find where is the cudnn version of this at::cudnn_convolution, I searched the whole project but found no definition. I know it will eventually call into cudnn library’s APIs, but I just need to find the missing link part. Guess it might be some code auto generated?
Here is where it gets called:
cudnn_convolution

} else {
      output = at::cudnn_convolution(
          input.contiguous(backend_memory_format), weight,
          params.padding, params.stride, params.dilation, params.groups, params.benchmark, params.deterministic, params.allow_tf32);
      if (bias.defined()) {
        output.add_(reshape_bias(input.dim(), bias));
      }
    }

Thank you very much.

The cuDNN calls for the currently used v7 API can be found here.

Thanks a lot. Now I can pull them all together.