How to take gradients with respect to model parameters on a loss function already defined in terms of gradients of inputs?

The problem I am trying to solve has the following setup. Let f(x; theta) and g(y; phi) be two neural networks whose outputs are scalar and theta, phi are the parameters I want to learn. x,y are vector valued inputs to these networks. In order to train the parameters, the loss function I have is the following:

CodeCogsEqn

The issue I have is that since the loss L already has gradients with respect to input y in the form of nabla g(y), I am wondering if it’s possible to compute the gradient again with respect to both theta and phi. The tentative code I have is the following but I am not sure if it’ll work:

x, y = Variable(torch.randn(1,2), requires_grad= True), Variable(torch.randn(1,2), requires_grad= True)

# Assuming that f_theta and g_phi are predefined neural networks

g_y = g_phi(y)

g_phi(y).backward()

grad_g_y = y.grad

f_grad_g_y = f_theta(grad_g_y)

f_x = f_theta(x)

loss = f_grad_g_y - f_x - torch.sum(y*grad_g_y ,dim=1)

# Computing gradient with respect to theta and phi

loss.backward()
print(theta.grad, phi.grad)

Hello,

In my shallow view, it will work, but we should fix something manaully, see this thread which computing Hessian product and do backward, I think it is similar to you, do backward on a gradient.

So, did you have a try on the snippet above?

Hi ,so is your tentative code working correctly?