How to train images in batches of fixed size to avoid RuntimeError: CuDNN error: CUDNN_STATUS_EXECUTION_FAILED error?

This is a very basic level question meanwhile hard for me to collect examples on Web to figure this out:

My code above fails because I am passing all of the 863 images (1 left for test purpose as in Leave-One-Out Cross-Validation). Actually, am I correct? I got CUDA ran out of memory error so I assumed that is the reason.

How can I fix this situation by batching the data and passing it to the training? Can you please provide a starter code or so? I am quite new to PyTorch and still very baffled with all the new syntaxes.
The commented section of code that uses enumerate(dataloader), passes only 1 train example to train_model method. How can I pass like 20 at a time? What do you suggest as a number to pass? (I know it is a hyper-parameter but what is a rule-of-the-thumb formula for so?

I have two 1080Ti GPU with 12GB memory and 64GB memory on my machine.

P.S.: Same code actually works, if I only have 50 images and pass 49 of them to the train_model method while having only two classes: https://gist.github.com/monajalal/0ea50727eb57b35a6ea3a6f9ff4415f1

You are already using a batch size of 1 in your DataLoader, so that you can’t lower it further.
If your model uses nn.BatchNorm layers, I would set the batch size to at least 16.

Are you sure your error CUDNN_STATUS_EXECUTION_FAILED is caused by running out of memory?
Could you check the memory of your cards with nvidia-smi while the code is running?
It would be strange, since you are only using a batch size of only 1 and the code was working before.

Also, you can add with torch.no_grad(): before the test sample evaluation so avoid storing the intermediate tensors.

This is output of nvidia-smi right after I get the error:

It was working before because dataloader only had 49 samples in it. Now it has 863 samples in it.
Complete error log:

Using sample 0 as test data
Resetting model
Epoch 0/24
----------

Exception ignored in: <bound method _DataLoaderIter.__del__ of <torch.utils.data.dataloader._DataLoaderIter object at 0x7fa90b043c18>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 399, in __del__
    self._shutdown_workers()
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 378, in _shutdown_workers
    self.worker_result_queue.get()
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/queues.py", line 337, in get
    return _ForkingPickler.loads(res)
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/multiprocessing/reductions.py", line 151, in rebuild_storage_fd
    fd = df.detach()
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/resource_sharer.py", line 57, in detach
    with _resource_sharer.get_connection(self._id) as conn:
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/resource_sharer.py", line 87, in get_connection
    c = Client(address, authkey=process.current_process().authkey)
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 493, in Client
    answer_challenge(c, authkey)
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 737, in answer_challenge
    response = connection.recv_bytes(256)        # reject large message
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 216, in recv_bytes
    buf = self._recv_bytes(maxlength)
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 407, in _recv_bytes
    buf = self._recv(4)
  File "/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 379, in _recv
    chunk = read(handle, remaining)
ConnectionResetError: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-4-9365fbc2464a> in <module>()
     34         model_ft = train_model(model_ft, criterion, optimizer_ft, exp_lr_scheduler, sample, target, num_epochs=10)'''
---> 36     model_ft = train_model(model_ft, criterion, optimizer_ft, exp_lr_scheduler, dataloader, num_epochs=25)
     38     # Test on LOO sample

<ipython-input-2-305560153b80> in train_model(model, criterion, optimizer, scheduler, dataloader, num_epochs)
     33                 loss = criterion(outputs, labels)
     34                 # backward + optimize only if in training phase
---> 35                 loss.backward()
     36                 optimizer.step()
     37             # statistics

/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/tensor.py in backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph)
     91                 products. Defaults to ``False``.
     92         """
---> 93         torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph)
     95     def register_hook(self, hook):

/scratch/sjn-p3/anaconda/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py in backward(tensors, grad_tensors, retain_graph, create_graph, grad_variables)
     88     Variable._execution_engine.run_backward(
     89         tensors, grad_tensors, retain_graph, create_graph,
---> 90         allow_unreachable=True)  # allow_unreachable flag

RuntimeError: CuDNN error: CUDNN_STATUS_EXECUTION_FAILED

I am using resnet50 as a base model. I am not sure if it has batchnorm module and how to set it as 16. Is there a link for that? Do you suggest doing so?

At this point, I am not sure if the error is because I have ran out of the memory. I just picked a wild guess because the only thing that changed from my other experiment was the number of images passed to train_model via dataloader from 49 to 863. I am also not sure how to investigate this further.

To change the batch size, just pass the value to batch_size in your DataLoader:

dataloader = data.DataLoader(
    image_datasets['train'],
    num_workers=2,
    batch_size=16,
    sampler=sampler
)

Could you run your code in CPU and see, if you’ll get any error message?
If the code runs fine, try to run it with:

CUDA_LAUNCH_BLOCKING=1 python script.py args

Since CUDA calls are asynchronous, the stack trace might point to a wrong line of code.
After your script crashes again, could you post the error message with the stack trace again?