Illegal memory access when trying to clear cache

Hi everyone, I encountered an strange error today… A RuntimeError: CUDA error: an illegal memory access was encountered pops up at torch.cuda.empty_cache().

Even more peculiarly, this issue comes out at the 39th epoch of a training session… How could that be?

Info:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "build_model_and_train.py", line 206, in <module>
    train_loss, train_acc = train()
  File "build_model_and_train.py", line 105, in train
    torch.cuda.empty_cache()
  File "/public/workspace/z/miniconda3/envs/ST-Torch/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/cuda/memory.py", line 35, in empty_cache
    torch._C._cuda_emptyCache()

Code snippet:

def train():  
    model.train()
    loss_all=0
    correct = 0
    for i, data in enumerate(train_loader, 0):
        torch.cuda.empty_cache()   # This is where the issue lies!
        data = data.to(device)
        optimizer.zero_grad()
        output = model(data.x, data.batch)
        torch.cuda.empty_cache()  # This is not where the issue lies.
        label = data.y.to(device)
        loss = loss_func(output, label)
        loss.backward()
        loss_all += loss.item()

output = output.detach().cpu().numpy().squeeze()
        label = label.detach().cpu().numpy().squeeze()        
        correct += (abs(output-label)<0.5).sum()

optimizer.step()

return loss_all / len(train_dataset), correct / len(train_dataset)

## Start training
# Omitted dataset generation, DataLoader, and initial setup
os.environ["CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES"] = '2'
device = torch.device('cuda')
edge_index = edge_index.to(device)
model = GCN().to(device)
optimizer = torch.optim.Adam(model.parameters(), lr=learning_rate, weight_decay = l2_reg)
loss_func = torch.nn.BCELoss()  # binary cross-entropy
train_loader = DataLoader(train_dataset, batch_size=batch_size, drop_last = True)
val_loader = DataLoader(val_dataset, batch_size=batch_size)
for epoch in range(num_epochs):
    gc.collect()
    torch.cuda.empty_cache()  # Yes I put this everywhere because I am suffering from OOMs...
    train_loss, train_acc = train()

CUDA operations are executed asynchronously, so the illegal memory access error would most likely happen before you are calling empty_cache(). To isolate it, you could run the script via CUDA_LAUNCH_BLOCKING=1 python script.py args and check the stacktrace, which should point to the failing operation. Also, in case you are using an older PyTorch release, I would recommend to update it to the latest stable or nightly release.

Thanks for your reply! I am using the latest stable version actually. Will check the failing operations.

Dude, have you solved the problem ? I have the same problem and I am 90% sure that this error is caused by torch.cuda.empty_cache(). I call empty_cache every 1000 epochs, and every time the error comes out, its stack has empty_cache. My pytorch version is 1.11, my cuda toolkit is 11.3, driver is 470.

And I have also tried using CUDA_LAUNCH_BLOCKING=1, the first thread of mine that raised that error has also torch.cuda.empty_cache() in its back trace. The error occurs ramdomly. I am using tensorrt in my threads, so probably they manage GPU memory differently than pytorch and may have some contradicts? Seems difficult to debug…

I doubt empty_cache() is causing the illegal memory access, but most likely an operation used before this call as already described. You could try to narrow it down further via e.g. cuda-gdb or compute-sanitizer.

1 Like