Implement accumulating gradients

Hi, I’m wondering how can I accumulating gradients in PyTorch. My code is working based on the number of steps as you can see below.

My code is:

def fit(self):
        cfg = self.cfg

refiner = nn.DataParallel(self.refiner, device_ids=range(cfg.num_gpu))

self.mean_l1 = 0.
        learning_rate = cfg.lr
        while True:
            for inputs in self.train_loader:
                self.refiner.train()

if cfg.scale > 0:
                    scale = cfg.scale
                    hr, lr = inputs[-1][0], inputs[-1][1]
                else:
                    scale = random.randint(2, 4)
                    hr, lr = inputs[scale - 2][0], inputs[scale - 2][1]

hr = hr.to(self.device)
                lr = lr.to(self.device)

sr = refiner(lr, scale)

loss = self.loss_fn(sr, hr)

self.optim.zero_grad()
                loss.backward()
                nn.utils.clip_grad_norm_(self.refiner.parameters(), cfg.clip)
                self.optim.step()

self.mean_l1 += loss

learning_rate = self.decay_learning_rate()
                for param_group in self.optim.param_groups:
                    param_group["lr"] = learning_rate

self.step += 1
                sys.stdout.write("\r==>>Steps:[%d/%d] Total:[%.6f] "
                                 % (self.step, cfg.max_steps, loss.item()))
                self.writer.add_scalar('Loss', loss.data.cpu().numpy(), global_step=self.step)

if cfg.verbose and self.step % cfg.print_interval == 0:
                    with open('logs/{}/'.format(self.folder_name) + 'logs.txt', 'a') as f:
                        PATH = os.path.join('logs/{}/checkpoints/'.format(self.folder_name),
                                            "{}_{}.pth.tar".format(cfg.ckpt_name, self.step))
                        t1 = times.time()
                        if cfg.scale > 0:
                            psnr, ssim = self.evaluate(cfg.valid_data_path, scale=cfg.scale, num_step=self.step)
                            t2 = times.time()

self.writer.add_scalar("PSNR", psnr, self.step)
                            print('--meanPsnr: {:.5f} --meanSsim: {:.5f} --meanTloss: {:.5f} --> {:.2f}m'
                                  .format(psnr, ssim, ((self.mean_l1) / cfg.print_interval), ((t2 - t1)/60)))

is_best = psnr > self.best_psnr
                            self.best_psnr = max(psnr, self.best_psnr)
                            if is_best:
                                torch.save({'step': self.step, 'model_state_dict': self.refiner.state_dict(),
                                            'optimizer_state_dict': self.optim.state_dict()}, PATH)

f.write('Step: {} -- PSNR x{}: {:.5f} -- Total_Loss: {:.5f}\n'
                                        .format(self.step, cfg.scale, psnr, self.mean_l1 / cfg.print_interval))
                        else:
                            psnr = [self.evaluate(cfg.valid_data_path, scale=i, num_step=self.step) for i in range(2, 5)]
                            t2 = times.time()
                            self.writer.add_scalar("PSNR_2x", psnr[0][0], self.step)
                            self.writer.add_scalar("PSNR_3x", psnr[1][0], self.step)
                            self.writer.add_scalar("PSNR_4x", psnr[2][0], self.step)
                            self.writer.add_scalar("SSIM_2x", psnr[0][1], self.step)
                            self.writer.add_scalar("SSIM_3x", psnr[1][1], self.step)
                            self.writer.add_scalar("SSIM_4x", psnr[2][1], self.step)

print('-mP_x2:{:.5f} -mS_x2:{:.5f} -mP_x3:{:.5f} -mS_x3:{:.5f}'
                                  '-mP_x4:{:.5f} -mS_x4:{:.5f} -mL:{:.5f} -->{:.2f}m'
                                  .format(psnr[0][0], psnr[0][1], psnr[1][0], psnr[1][1], psnr[2][0], psnr[2][1],
                                          (self.mean_l1 / cfg.print_interval), ((t2 - t1)/60)))

is_best = psnr[2][0] > self.best_psnr
                            self.best_psnr = max(psnr[2][0], self.best_psnr)
                            if is_best:
                                torch.save({'step': self.step, 'model_state_dict': self.refiner.state_dict(),
                                        'optimizer_state_dict': self.optim.state_dict()}, PATH)

f.write('Step:{} -- PSNR [X4:{:.5f}, X3:{:.5f}, X2:{:.5f}] -- Total_Loss: {:.5f}\n'
                                        .format(self.step, psnr[2][0], psnr[1][0], psnr[0][0], self.mean_l1 / cfg.print_interval))

self.mean_l1 = 0.
            if self.step > cfg.max_steps: break

inputs shape is as follow [batch_size, channels, height, width]. in this case, I can only train my model with batch_size 32 in one GPU and I want to implement accumulating gradients to be able to train network with bigger batch size like 64. any idea how can I do that?

Thanks in advance!

In pytorch you have 2 optimizer methods which are usually used:
op.zero_grad(), op.step() and loss.backward()
if you just dont set gradients to zero you will accumulate them. step is nothing but upgrade model parameters

Can you explain more precisely what I have to do?
I know about zero_grad(), step() and backward() and I didn’t mean the opt.step(). As you can see my code is base on the number of steps (for example, I train my model for 600K steps) not epoch.

for inputs in self.train_loader:

loss = self.loss_fn(sr, hr)
                self.optim.zero_grad()
                loss.backward()
                nn.utils.clip_grad_norm_(self.refiner.parameters(), cfg.clip)
                self.optim.step()

This is the core of your code. If you don’t call zero grad and step, you will accumulate gradients corresponding to the different iterations. Once you have reached the amount of iterations to accumulate you just need to call step and later on zero grad to reset gradients. In short, zero grad sets all gradients on zero and step upgrades model parameters with whatever is stored on gradients.

According to your answer your problem is how do you define “iteration” in this case. Here you can consider an iteration as you were doing or you can consider that iteration is the amount of times you upgrade parameters. The second option is the conventional one.