Inconsistent results of forwarding a cpu/gpu tensor with a cpu model

Hi, I found that forwarding the same tensor on cpu and gpu with a model on cpu yield different results.

import torch
fc = torch.nn.Linear(2, 2)
t = torch.tensor([[0.5, 0.3]])
print(fc(t))
print(fc(t.cuda()))

The result of fc(t) is correct while the result of fc(t.cuda()) is wrong. After a little digging, I found it is torch.addmm() that cause this issue. Though forwarding a gpu tensor with a cpu model generally makes little sense, my expectation is that pytorch can either throw an error (saying input device mismatch) or give the correct result.

This is interesting, I would expect it to throw error as well (and it did when I tried). Can you mention the pytorch version and the machine info.

@user_123454321 my pytorch version is 1.6.0 and OS is ubuntu 16.04. I tried different GPU models but the issue persists. By the way, may I know your pytorch version?

Some updates: I found the output fc(t.cuda()) equals to the bias of the Linear layer. When I set bias=False, calling fc(t.cuda()) will raise an error RuntimeError: copy_if failed to synchronize: an illegal memory access was encountered. I guess it is probably related to the implementation of torch.addmm() but could not find out.

Hmmm…my pytorch version is 1.7.1, OS is ubuntu 18.0.4 and P100 GPU. I still don’t get why data on gpu is able to be run on model on cpu.

I managed to try both 1.7.0 and 1.6.0 on colab and it seems the issue is with 1.6.0. Pytorch 1.7.0 can raise error as expected.

Yes, it seems like the error is in 1.6.0 (tried in the server). Tried 1.5.0, that gives expected results too.

>>> import torch
>>> torch.__version__
'1.6.0'
>>> fc = torch.nn.Linear(2, 2)
>>> t = torch.tensor([[0.5, 0.3]])
>>> print(fc(t))
tensor([[-0.1817,  0.4468]], grad_fn=<AddmmBackward>)
>>> print(fc(t.cuda()))
tensor([[0.1775, 0.5823]], grad_fn=<AddmmBackward>)
>>>

>>> import torch
>>> torch.__version__
'1.5.0'
>>> fc = torch.nn.Linear(2, 2)
>>> t = torch.tensor([[0.5, 0.3]])
>>> print(fc(t))
tensor([[0.0865, 0.0900]], grad_fn=<AddmmBackward>)
>>> print(fc(t.cuda()))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/ubuntu/anaconda3/envs/pytorch1.5/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 550, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/ubuntu/anaconda3/envs/pytorch1.5/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/linear.py", line 87, in forward
    return F.linear(input, self.weight, self.bias)
  File "/home/ubuntu/anaconda3/envs/pytorch1.5/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py", line 1610, in linear
    ret = torch.addmm(bias, input, weight.t())
RuntimeError: Expected object of device type cuda but got device type cpu for argument #1 'self' in call to _th_addmm
>>>