Input, output must be on the current device

iam new to NLP and currently iam doing this code below wehre iam trying to save the Last Hidden States of the DistilBert model , the data is huge so iam using GPU
but i don’t know why i face this problem ==> Input, output and indices must be on the current device

my code ==>

• tokenized = data[‘txt’].apply((lambda x: tokenizer.encode(x, add_special_tokens=True,truncation = True, max_length = 512)))

• max_len = 0
    for i in tokenized.values:
    if len(i) > max_len:
    max_len = len(i)

padded = np.array([i + [0]*(max_len-len(i)) for i in tokenized.values])

• np.array(padded).shape

• attention_mask = np.where(padded != 0, 1, 0)

• input_ids = torch.tensor(padded).to(device)

• attention_mask = torch.tensor(attention_mask).to(device)

• with torch.no_grad():
    last_hidden_states = model(input_ids, attention_mask=attention_mask).to(device)

= ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
1 with torch.no_grad():
----> 2 last_hidden_states = model(input_ids, attention_mask=attention_mask).to(device)

C:\Users\jod204.conda\envs\gpu_pyt\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py in _call_impl(self, *input, **kwargs)
887 result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
888 else:
→ 889 result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
890 for hook in itertools.chain(
891 _global_forward_hooks.values(),

C:\Users\jod204.conda\envs\gpu_pyt\lib\site-packages\transformers\models\distilbert\modeling_distilbert.py in forward(self, input_ids, attention_mask, head_mask, inputs_embeds, output_attentions, output_hidden_states, return_dict)
479 if inputs_embeds is None:
→ 480 inputs_embeds = self.embeddings(input_ids) # (bs, seq_length, dim)
481 return self.transformer(
482 x=inputs_embeds,

C:\Users\jod204.conda\envs\gpu_pyt\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py in _call_impl(self, *input, **kwargs)
888 else:

C:\Users\jod204.conda\envs\gpu_pyt\lib\site-packages\transformers\models\distilbert\modeling_distilbert.py in forward(self, input_ids)
105 position_ids = position_ids.unsqueeze(0).expand_as(input_ids) # (bs, max_seq_length)
→ 107 word_embeddings = self.word_embeddings(input_ids) # (bs, max_seq_length, dim)
108 position_embeddings = self.position_embeddings(position_ids) # (bs, max_seq_length, dim)

888 else:

C:\Users\jod204.conda\envs\gpu_pyt\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\sparse.py in forward(self, input)
156 return F.embedding(
157 input, self.weight, self.padding_idx, self.max_norm,
→ 158 self.norm_type, self.scale_grad_by_freq, self.sparse)
160 def extra_repr(self) → str:

C:\Users\jod204.conda\envs\gpu_pyt\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\functional.py in embedding(input, weight, padding_idx, max_norm, norm_type, scale_grad_by_freq, sparse)
1914 # remove once script supports set_grad_enabled
1915 no_grad_embedding_renorm(weight, input, max_norm, norm_type)
→ 1916 return torch.embedding(weight, input, padding_idx, scale_grad_by_freq, sparse)

RuntimeError: Input, output and indices must be on the current device

– in the last line , i tried to run it with and without [to(device)] but same error each time
how i can solve this problem

@Gaborandi , I assume what possible happened is that you are have loaded some tensors on GPU while others are on CPU. So if you made takes input1 and input2. Make sure both are on GPU and the model itself in on GPU. You can achieve it with the code below

device = "cuda:0"
model = model.to(device)
input1 = input1.to(device)
input2 = input2.to(device)
#Then you can say
output = model(input1, input2)