Is it possible to output an object instead of model when using multigpu?

I have a Variational Autoencoder model with the following forward function:

def forward(self, x):
        y = self.encoder(x)
        means = self.linear_means(y)
        log_var = self.linear_log_var(y)
        z = reparameterize(means, log_var)
        recon_x = self.decoder(z)
        return VaeOutput(output=recon_x, mean=means, log_var=log_var)

VaeOutput is an object:

@dataclass
class VaeOutput:
    output: torch.Tensor
    log_var: torch.Tensor
    mean: torch.Tensor

when I am training my model on a single GPU everything runs like a charm but whenever mu model is embedded with multi-gpus with nn.Dataparallel() i got an error about VaeOutput which is not serializable.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "train.py", line 135, in <module>
    main()
  File "train.py", line 131, in main
    model = model_runner.train(model, train_loader, learning_config, val_loader, feature_config)
  File "/buzz-based-anomaly/utils/model_runner.py", line 375, in train
    return self._train(model, train_dataloader, train_config, self._train_step, self._val_step,
  File "/buzz-based-anomaly/utils/model_runner.py", line 455, in _train
    train_epoch_loss = train_step_func(model, train_dataloader, optimizer, experiment, epoch, log_interval)
  File "/buzz-based-anomaly/utils/model_runner.py", line 671, in _train_step
    model_output = model(batch)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/pytorch-cuda-env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1051, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/buzz-based-anomaly/utils/sm_data_parallel.py", line 10, in forward
    return self.model(*input_data)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/pytorch-cuda-env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1051, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/pytorch-cuda-env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py", line 169, in forward
    return self.gather(outputs, self.output_device)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/pytorch-cuda-env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/data_parallel.py", line 181, in gather
    return gather(outputs, output_device, dim=self.dim)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/pytorch-cuda-env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/scatter_gather.py", line 78, in gather
    res = gather_map(outputs)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/pytorch-cuda-env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/parallel/scatter_gather.py", line 73, in gather_map
    return type(out)(map(gather_map, zip(*outputs)))
TypeError: 'VaeOutput' object is not iterable

How should I approach that kind of problem? Is it possible to use custom model output with multigpu support?

Would it be possible to wrap the model in another Class that contains a DataParallel instantiation of the model which then returns the object?

Thanks for posting @tymons, I noticed that you are using nn.DataParallel to do mutigpu training, since we don’t recommend using nn.DataParallel right now, could you try using distributed data parallel (nn.DistributedDataParallel) and see if the issue still exist? You can see the tutorial here Getting Started with Distributed Data Parallel — PyTorch Tutorials 1.10.0+cu102 documentation

actually DDP might also have this issue as internally it’s using Tuple[Tensor] to detect bucket and do optimizations, etc. Looking at your case, Could you try turning VaeOutput into Named Tuple, this way it still preserves its name and will be fully compatible with DDP

1 Like