Leaf variable has been moved into the graph interior in model definition

Hello,

I am new to pytorch (I’m using 1.6.0), and I know that this topic or similar has a number of entries, but after studying them I can’t yet see the problem with my code, and would appreciate help with this. I define the following model:

import torch

“”" Model definition “”"

class NNModel( torch.nn.Module ):

def __init__( self, nFeatures, nNeurons ):

"""
    The model consists of two hidden layers with tanh activation and a single neuron output 
    from the third layer. The input to the first layer is a tensor containing the input features
    (nFeatures); the output of the third layer is a single number.
    """

super( NNModel, self).__init__()

self.linear1 = torch.nn.Linear( nFeatures, nNeurons ) 
    self.activn1 = torch.nn.Tanh()
    self.linear2 = torch.nn.Linear( nNeurons, 1 ) 
    self.activn2 = torch.nn.Tanh()

def forward( self, x ):

"""
    x is a tensor containing all symmetry functions for the present configuration; therefore 
    it has dimensions (nObservations, nFeatures). The model must loop over each observation, 
    calculating the contribution of each one to the output (the sum of them).
    """

nObservations, _ = x.shape

z = torch.zeros( nObservations, requires_grad = True )

for n in range( nObservations ):

y = self.linear1( x[n,:] )
        y = self.activn1( y )
        y = self.linear2( y )
        z[n] = self.activn2( y )

addition = z.sum()

return addition

My loss functions and optimizer are:

lossFunction = torch.nn.MSELoss( reduction = ‘sum’ )

optimizer = torch.optim.SGD( model.parameters(), lr=1.0e-4 )

and I run this in a loop like so:

for t in range( 500 ):

# forward pass

for n in range( nCases ):

y_pred[n] = model( sym[n] )

# compute and print loss

loss = lossFunction( y_pred, energy )

print( t, loss.item() )

# zero gradients, perform a backward pass and update weights

optimizer.zero_grad()
loss.backward( )
optimizer.step()

The first pass through the loop prints a loss value, but on the next iteration the program crashes with the known RuntimeError: leaf variable has been moved into the graph interior problem.

I guess this is to do with the loop over nObservations in the forward function definition, but I do not understand why nor what can I do to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

This error has been improved on master. If you use a nightly built, it should raise an error directly at the place where the faulty inplace op is :slight_smile:
This happens because you modify inplace a view of a leaf Tensor and such inplace op is not allowed. In this case I guess this is your z.
Note that if you don’t actually need the .grad field on z, you can create it with requires_grad=False and that should solve the error.

Thank you albanD; I did install the nightly build and indeed it gives a slightly different output message, however I am still lost as to why my code doesn’t work. I will try to tinker with it some more and see if I can make some progress. Thanks for your help.

The updated error should point at the line that is doing an inplace operation that is not allowed.

But for the code above, I think changing z = torch.zeros( nObservations, requires_grad = True ) to z = torch.zeros( nObservations) should work.

Thank you so much, albanD. Yes, now it appears to work fine, though I need to do more testing. However, I also need to progress in my understanding: setting the flag requires_grad = True in z appeared to me to be necessary in order to be able to compute the gradient of the value returned by forward() and thus optimize the model parameters.

Thanks again.

Since you write inplace into it a Tensor that requires gradient, it will work fine.
You only need to set requires_grad=True explicitly for a Tensor if you plan to access it .grad field or ask for gradients for it in autograd.grad.