License Requirements for Merging a PR

I am planning to submit a PR to Pytorch soon for a new function. I realize the entire process may take some time, I will need to learn as I go, and it will require extensive preparation.

My question is only about how Open Source Licensing works for Pytorch.

If I plan to integrate my existing code into Pytorch, what does Pytorch expect from my software’s licensing? My university allows me to choose the Open Source License, but they must approve it before I release my code publically. My project has no restrictions to being released as publically as possible, once the license is appoved.

I believe I only need to choose a generic BSD License, but I wanted to gently/unofficially/roughly check with this forum to seek informal/non-official/non-binding advice.

Thank you for the guidance.

You would need to sign the CLA as described here before your PR can be merged.

Thank you. To clarify, do I need to use a specific type of Open Source license?

I’m not deeply familiar with licensed, but would assume you are agreeing to the BSD licence when submitting code.

So do you suspect will Pytorch be bothered if I continue to maintain my own version of my code once I submit a PR? Basically, I just want to make sure I am not doing anything obviously wrong. Are there any examples you can think if where the PR is integrated and the repo is still open? Many of the PRs I see are usually forks that get removed right away.

Thank you for the help so far by the way.

Maintaining your branch with e.g. new (experimental) features should not be a problem.
An example could be PyTorch-Geometric, which is of course not fully integrated into PyTorch Core, but a few utilities were merged such as scatter operations with reductions. This might not be the best example, but I wouldn’t be concerned about keeping your repository alive and trying to upstream new features in case you think it would be beneficial to have them in PyTorch directly.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate all this help.