Loss.backward() found long, expected float

I am trying to code a test case for multi task learning, using my own loss function. The idea is that the output layer is 3-dimensional, the first output is used for 1D regression, the last two are used for 2-class classification. So, my combined loss function is a weighted sum of L1 loss and CELoss.

However, pytorch is complaining about my datatypes?

class my_loss:

def __init__(self,weights):
      self.weights=weights

#age loss:
      self.L1=nn.SmoothL1Loss(reduction='mean',beta=0.05)

#gender loss:
      self.CE=nn.CrossEntropyLoss(reduction='mean')

def __call__(self,output,target):
      loss = self.weights[0]*self.L1(output[:,0],target[:,0])+self.weights[1]*self.CE(output[:,1:3],target[:,1])

return loss

#testing:
it=iter(dataloaders_dict['train'])
X,y=it.next()

criterion = my_loss(weights=(1,1))

out=model_ft(X)
loss=criterion(out,y)
print(y.dtype)
print(X.dtype)
print(out.dtype)
print(loss.dtype)

loss.backward()

This returns:

torch.int64
torch.float32
torch.float32
torch.float32
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-88-fc96d4e3072b> in <module>()
     31 print(loss.dtype)
---> 33 loss.backward()

1 frames
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py in backward(tensors, grad_tensors, retain_graph, create_graph, grad_variables, inputs)
    145     Variable._execution_engine.run_backward(
    146         tensors, grad_tensors_, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs,
--> 147         allow_unreachable=True, accumulate_grad=True)  # allow_unreachable flag

RuntimeError: Found dtype Long but expected Float

If only my targets are long, how come loss.backward is finding long’s, and how do I fix it?

You are using a target tensor as a LongTensor, which is fine for nn.CrossEntropyLoss, but will fail for nn.SmoothL1Loss, so you would have to transform it into a FloatTensor:

loss = self.weights[0]*self.L1(output[:,0],target[:,0].float())+self.weights[1]*self.CE(output[:,1:3],target[:,1])
1 Like

thanks, yes, that solves it. But, do you have any idea why the error does not arise in nn.SmoothL1Loss?

The error is raised in nn.SmoothL1Loss, but unfortunately in the backward pass, and I’m unsure if accepting LongTensors in the forward is a bug or a feature, so feel free to create an issue on GitHub, so that it can be tracked and fixed, if needed.

1 Like